Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Best place to buy paint and materials? Best price? How much paint to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Best place to buy paint and materials? Best price? How much paint to buy?

Just like the title reads. I'm looking for the best place to buy silver paint (GM WA9566) and looking to see how much I will need. Also where is the best place to buy everything else I need? The engine bay is being painted with rattle cans and the inside of the doors also. The tops of the car also will not be painted since it's already black so it shouldn't require a whole lot of paint I wouldn't think. If you could help me I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Nobody?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your painting the entire car already then in my opinion your shortcutting it by doing the engine bay and jambs with rattle cans. in the jambs I would never use rattle cans due to the jambs being a wear area, rattle can will never work good for a wear area. as far as paint I would say any auto paint supply store in your area. price is gonna be fairly similar from shop to shop. now for amount. its hard to say. I would say your gonna need a spray able gallon to ensure coverage and allow jambs and under hood to be painted. so basically if its ppg basecoat then 2 quarts color 2 quarts reducer. but buying extra never hurts because you could always have re paints
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100% on the jambs. Engine bay. It your going black or something fine. But if its color matched and engine is out. Why not paint it with the good stuff as well
Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by yelo04goat
I agree 100% on the jambs. Engine bay. It your going black or something fine. But if its color matched and engine is out. Why not paint it with the good stuff as well
The engine bays come stock with **** paint lol. I can spray can better than the stock paint they put in there. Honestly though I think I might just leave the engine bay the color it is and paint the car silver. The engine bay already looks silver. (It's pewter)
Old 05-27-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

in no way shape or form rattle can ever better then basecoat alone. rattle can is **** and with any kind of solvent getting on it then it will come off. the stock paint in the engine bay is far better then rattle can.

here is a example. I rattle canned my valve covers 1 year ago. they are in terrible shape now. I painted my buddies valve covers at my shop 2 years ago with ppg single stage and they are still like new. rattle can is never a good option

not only that but rattle cans cant spray metallic correctly so it will look like **** doing a metallic silver, and silver are some of the harder colors to do
Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you get ppg wether it be global or dbc like stated b4 2 quarts of color and 2 quarts of reducer should be plenty. If you get DuPont you might need 3 quarts to a gallon of color and the same in reducer. DuPont it's very transparent and takes more to cover than ppg from my experience. Also be sure to buy slow reducer for the silver as it will allow time for the metallics to flip and won't dry fast and leave the car with streaks or blotchy.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think it depends what kind of rattle can and what kind of prep you do.

If you do a legit prep and use a high end rattle can, with clear coat...it should be fine for jams and under hood.

If you're even considering, its obvious you arnt going for a show car.

Quick Reply: Best place to buy paint and materials? Best price? How much paint to buy?