Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed headers… Blinking SES light

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed headers… Blinking SES light

I just finished installing BBK LT headers and y-pipe on a 2000 LS1 Camaro. The install went fine, headers fit great… no issues there. While I was in there I changed plugs and wires, deleted EGR & AIR and pulled the fuse, changed out the O2 sensors.

Car seems to run fine, I don't notice anything off. It doesn't idle any rougher than it usually does. Rev's smoothly, and sounds good. However, anything over 2000 rpm's and the SES light begins to blink. I expected to see the light on, however, I'm sure blinking isn't OK. Last summer I did an LS6 install, and didn't have any issues. Haven't gone WOT, so I'm not sure if it feels stronger. Checked the plugs wire connections on both ends, as best I could while it was hot, and everything seems in order. I know a tune is in order, its next on the list. Any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Also, I re-used the metal shrouds, or shields, around the spark plug boot. Not sure if I should have re-used those or not. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

misfire....check plugs and wires
Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flashing SES light means misfire. Like TheSilverone said check plugs and wires, check anything you may have disconnected during header install.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Teching In

That confirms what I was thinking, but hoping it wouldn't be. I'm not looking forward to doing that again. Any thoughts on the stock metal shroud/guard things on the spark plugs?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are heat shields to protect the plug boots from being burned
Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AK_SS_DMH
That confirms what I was thinking, but hoping it wouldn't be. I'm not looking forward to doing that again. Any thoughts on the stock metal shroud/guard things on the spark plugs?
if you have aftermarket wires, they are not needed. i would recommend MSD wires for the 1 simple fact that they have bendable boots. also i have been running mine in my Trans Am since 2007, and removed them plenty of times with no issues so far
Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also, make sure to do a PCM relearn
Old 05-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Teching In

PCM relearn? Like unplug the battery?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Turned out to be a miss on #8, pulled that plug and re-installed… problem solved. Also, turned out to have a P0200, which as luck would have it… was due to an injector connector not fully seated on #8. Now the car runs great. Thanks for the help!

Also, LT's w/ no cats through SLP dual/dual sounds pretty amazing. Very happy I decided to wait on a cat-back. Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AK_SS_DMH
Go with MSD wires... less of a PITA to take off. I just finished installing hooker headers and ripped 3 wires. had to use vice grips to remove them off the plug. I had replaced them all with msd street fire wires. no problems as of yet.

Quick Reply: Just installed headers… Blinking SES light