Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gbody PCM mounting

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gbody PCM mounting

Anyone mount/hide their PCM inside the car on their swap?

I was originally planning on mounting the PCM inside the front driver side fender, but I rather not extend the harness any further.

So plan is to put it back inside the car, there is almost no space behind the dash, especially with complete HVAC system and duct work inside.

At first I planned on placing it here, but once I actually put the dash and console back in for test fitting it kinda squashed that idea. While still possible, it seemed like it would be a real PITA to get to the PCM when I needed.

I planed on enclosing the pcm in under the dash so it would actually be hidden afterwards of course.

Now I'm leaning towards placing it behind the stereo/hvac controls. Make some kind of sliding mount. Downside I would need to remove the face plate/stereo/hvac controls to access the pcm when needed.

**NOTE, not completely ready to fully sacrifice the glove box for the PCM alone**

Really wish I would have gone with newer motor with the smaller PCM. Would make things so much easier.

Last edited by BOXCHEV; 05-26-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I originally had mine mounted on ps wheelwell along with aftermarket relay & fuse panel. Had a decorative cover( aluminum box with slip on lid) over it. When I from factory to vintage air, I installed it flat against the ac block off cover .
Old 05-27-2013, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive been trying to keep as many items as I can off of the wheel wells. I know most mount them there. I hate cluttered/factory looking engine bays. So wheel wells were out of the question for me.

What vintage air unit are you using? I was actually mocking up a cardboard box today, using the dimensions on one of the GEN II Compact systems to see if it would work behind the stock SS dash. Looks to be a tight squeeze.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
Ive been trying to keep as many items as I can off of the wheel wells. I know most mount them there. I hate cluttered/factory looking engine bays. So wheel wells were out of the question for me.

What vintage air unit are you using? I was actually mocking up a cardboard box today, using the dimensions on one of the GEN II Compact systems to see if it would work behind the stock SS dash. Looks to be a tight squeeze.
I've seen them mounted in the glovebox before. I'm different myself, I mean, I don't like clutter, so I've changed a lot from factory, but ease of maintenance is huge for me, so I'm mounting my PCM where the factory charcoal canister used to be. It's right at the front of the DS wheelwell, but with the pcm and fuseblock under the hood I'll be able to lift the motor out with the harness on it, rather than having to pull every plug off the motor when I pull it for any reason. Just a thought....

-matt

ETA: On cars where the PCM is inside the interior, the manufacturers generally use a bulkhead connector to allow this same thing, where you unbolt the connector and lift the motor with the harness intact. Not sure if you could get one of these from the boneyard and retro it into your car, but it's a thought.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is mounted on the driver side fender and I kinda hate it. I like that the fuses/relays are accessible but hate the cluttered look.

Under the passenger seat is popular spot on other cars, could work on your G too.

I have a couple S-10 computer trays if you need something to hold the comp; $10+shipping.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went with the vintage air compact unit. Glove box is cut down to just a letterholder. Also my blockoff cover is not just flush, I made a bulge in it. It goes straight up (level) above the bottom, then angles back at top, which makes more room for air unit. Sorry , but no pics of it in my photobucket. I do have pics of the neat little cover I started making under the hood to hide most ALL the under hood electronics.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i planned on putting my pcm under the dash but it doesn't seem to have the room... so i guess i'm going to install it on the passenger side inner fender or the battery tray and installing the battery in the trunk, but try to hide as many wires as possible to make it look sanitary if possible... any pics of what you guys are doing? i just hate the idea of extending the harnes...
Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
I went with the vintage air compact unit. Glove box is cut down to just a letterholder. Also my blockoff cover is not just flush, I made a bulge in it. It goes straight up (level) above the bottom, then angles back at top, which makes more room for air unit. Sorry , but no pics of it in my photobucket. I do have pics of the neat little cover I started making under the hood to hide most ALL the under hood electronics.
After measuring I figured the glove box would need to be chopped up for it to fit. No pics needed, I pretty much have an idea on what it probably looks like. Ive seen a few gbodies with similar setups.

There are some people putting together a vintage air kit. Some info in this thread. Vintage air will be supplying the unit, and ArizonaGN and G-Body Parts will be supplying the brackets and firewall plate etc I believe. First production of kits will be for regals only though because of the vent adapters.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/thr...n-done.391683/

We are working with Vintage Air to develop a kit for 1978-1988 G-Body vehicles, and are in the final phase of finishing it.

Our first Vintage Air installation was in a 1981 Turbo Trans Am that we converted to a GN drivetrain was a relatively easy job, and the AC/Heater performance turned out to be as good or better than stock performance.

However, the Gen IV Magnum Evac unit will not fit under the G-Body dash with a regular AC block-off plate. There are also custom adapters needed if the stock vent outlets in the dash are to be retained. It will have both AC and heat, and NO vacuum controls.

We have completed that difficult phase, and are now working on the under hood items like routing the lines and placement of items like the dryer and condensor.

The current schedule is to have the pro-type unit operational by April 1, and then have the first complete kit by May 1 to display at the G-Body/TB.Com event in North Carolina.

This will be exclusive, custom fit Vintage Air kit only available through ArizonaGN and G-Body Parts.

he bracket for mounting the evap unit under the dash is completed, and the vents/ducting are in place.

An adapter was made to enable us to retain the stock 2 center dash outlets, so this will be a part of the kit.

The bracket from Vintage Air for mounting the evap was also modified to fit under the dash with the custom block-off plate we will fabricate. Three bolts are visible on the plate are used to secure the evap unit, as well as a bracket from the from of the dash.

The bulkhead connectors for the AC and heater lines are seen next to the fender side of the plate.

The hoses on the evap unit under the dash will be fit and installed when the unit is shipped.

Vintage Air has been extremely co-operative in assisting us in the development this kit, and since it is directed to the G-Body vehicles exclusively and will contain our custom made and modified parts, it will be sold as a complete kit through G Body Parts and ArizonaGN.

We are still on schedule to have a complete kit on display at Buick event in NC on the first week of May

I would like to address the questions and comments that have been asked here and with personal contact, but I first want to thank everyone for their interest and support in this project as we do believe it will bring many G-Body cars, including our turbo cars, back to "life" as a fast, comfortable cruiser, and tremendously increase their value!

Our objective is to provide a kit complete and simple enough to install in the various brands no matter what engine is used, original or late model like the popular LS conversion.

Since each owner and car will be a unique project, we will offer many options to our "kit" so it will comply with the needs, performance and budget of the owner.

Out most difficult, crucial and critical area in developing this kit is to fit the Gen IV Magnum in the cramped space available under the dash and maintain the outlets in the stock locations and configuration. Many man-hours have been spent on dash modifications, custom mounting brackets and custom built adapters to properly fit this unit.

As far as the glove box, you could store your gloves and insurance papers, but the center console will be your best storage bin!

Since the AC and heater lines connect to the Gen IV under the dash from the bulkhead connectors, specific lines and fittings must be used for routing. The plan is we will plumb this unit and provide adapter brackets and the necessary parts for the under-dash installation.

As far as the under-hood components, this is where the owner will choose the components to fit his specific needs, and this would also apply to the control panel in the dash.

For a turbo Buick application, a stock R-4 compressor can be used, and in the picture above a Vintage Air adapter piece can be used to easily mate AN lines to it, and many other fittings are AN as well.

Since a couple GN/LS conversions are under way by owners that have contacted us, we can provide a compressor, lines and other parts needed, or they can us their own items to hook up the system.

As far as an answer to the all important question of how much $$$$? A basic kit price has not yet been at this point, but it will be soon
he initial Vintage Air system is in the car and working!

Now comes the hard part, gearing up to put the kit together, and determing the selling price?

We also must produce the specific parts needed for the under dash vents and control panel, as well as the firewall mounting plate.

At this point, the adapters and plate will be hand made until we can have them produced in quantity.

Since all G-body cars are not exactly the same under the dash, the vent adapters must be made different from the Regal, so the initial units will be Regal-only.

Our plan is to start producing the Regal application right now as we currently have custom parts being made.

For the production start-up program, there will be 10 units made for the first batch.

One of the 10 is already slated for a customer doing a LS engine conversion in a Regal.

The remaining 9 units are available, but we MUST have contact with each customer to determine specifics of their installation, and be able to have a working relationship with them during the entire installation process.

This entails much more work and time on our part, but we must assure the process and field installation will be done properly and any unforeseen issues can be worked out easily.

We have spent many hours on development, and want to deliver a quality product with support documentation and tech help so the installer is not frustrated. With this process we can obtain necessary feedback so we can move forward on production with confidence in out units.

Our plan is to develop the basic unit price, and develop an option list with the first 10 customers.

There are many owners here that have expressed a desire for this unit. It is necessary for me to have direct, personal contact by e-mail and phone to compile the list of 9 people seriously interested in this product.

Thanks to all of you for your support and interest in this project!
Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see they're fitting the gen 4 magnum ,which is bigger than the compact I fit. My one regret is that I didn't try to fit the super or something else bigger.

Quick Reply: Gbody PCM mounting