Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question automatic

Has anyone or someone u know ever taken up the challange to put an automatic in their V1...Tuesday I will be calling a fabricatrion expert near Md. Va. and see if he would get me on a lift soon and check out my V..so he can see what can be done and in a few days give me an estimate for labor and parts. and a list of course of all the part #'s he wants to use. preferably a 4L8OE and a 9" 4 link....
Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 05-27-2013, 03:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you had issues with RPM in DE but they were probably the best chance of doing a 4l80 swap in your car. They just did one in a 2012 Boss when everyone said it was impossible.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Why not just buy a G8? That's what I would do anyway.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Getting parts for a G8 isnt much fun either but they arent bad. Coworker has one and ive always liked the styling of them.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like it! Gunna be a nice build lol.

I do know that it'll be much easier to run it on a manual valve body instead of tryin to get it wired in to the harness but that's definitely up to personal preference there. Minus a little tunnel clearance it shouldn't be to bad. The 80e and and t56 ate damn near the exact same length just a difference in diameter. I had planned on just bending up a new sheeetal dented console to fit in mine once thentunnelnis clearances enough. Good luck Greg let me know what they tell ya about it all. Maybe compare notes on the two builds
Old 05-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Tunnel clearance is the only thing i have no idea on. I know some persuasion is needed just dont know how much. I have been trying to figure the best way to do it for months now. You can try and use your pcm and add an auto TCM "Dont quote me but i think our basterd p59 pcm is not capable of a segment swap so that might ruin that idea" and a 80e or keep your pcm put a t56 speedo gear on the 80e and run an aftermarket trans controller, Or just do like i think 04vguy wants to do and run a manual valve body with overdrive on a toggle or somthin.
Im sure theres details in each idea i didnt present but nothing ever goes smooth with modded cars.
Either way relativley speaking im sure it can be done fairly easy i just have no idea how hacked up the cab will look trying to fit that auto trans in there. If i do it i want it to look factory.
That might be asking to much though.

Last edited by three83'camaro; 05-27-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

I cant find info on the RPM auto swap V for nothin!!
Can anyone point me in the direction of info on their swap?

Last edited by three83'camaro; 05-27-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't think it's been done yet. I'm literally just gunna buy an 80e have it built. Then install with a sawzall. After its in ill fab up a nice stainless or aluminum center console wrap it innblack carpet and call it a day
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DougNuts
Yep, Agreed.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:34 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 80E sitting on the floor and the mount and tail shaft are in almost the exact same locations. The problem with the V is the rectangular steel bulkhead where the fire wall and floor board meet. All you need is room for the bellhousing, the tunnel itself is nearly wide enough but will require some massaging. It'll fit like a condom.

I plan on throwing the 80E on the trans jack and see how far off it really is from fitting when I pull the trans for the clutch and rebuild. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics.

Greg - you're only a few minutes up the road from my shop...I'll give you a shout when I have this apart and you can come see for yourself. Just have to finish the cam and heads I started yesterday.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Very interested in this for a possible future build.
2. **** a G8.

Thats all. Lol
Keep us updated!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Teching In

do it like this guy

Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you had issues with RPM in DE but they were probably the best chance of doing a 4l80 swap in your car. They just did one in a 2012 Boss when everyone said it was impossible.__________________
thanks man, but the shop I am gong to is not a vendor here but he has been around for over30 yrs. in Elkridge Md...With that info u should know who will be doing the fab work.....He is expensive but knows his stuff....If he does my V as a doner, will probably cost app 10-12 grand...that's tranny, converter, cage, 9'' four link or IRS...He wants to do the 4 link...and built 4L80E, shifter, and finished interior....

Last edited by GREG O.; 05-28-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default automatic

The G8 I hear is a lot larger than the 4L80E...Just overkill IMO. the job is difficult enough....BUT the G8 is set up for a 58x reluctor which I have..Might make the job easier in that respect...Anyone chime in please if u have and idea's...I grew up with timing lights, points and condensers..All this computer **** is just too much for me...lol

Last edited by GREG O.; 05-28-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Smile

Greg - you're only a few minutes up the road from my shop...I'll give you a shout when I have this apart and you can come see for yourself. Just have to finish the cam and heads I started yesterday.__________________

how u doing DMM.....I have a couple of good mechanics who want to pull my trany and check it and the Mcleod out..My installer, we think, ruined the pilot bearing trying to install the engine from up top....This has been 2yrs. ago..I drove to OC and had trouble getting reverse..Also too much vibration...I had about 20 dyno pulls on her....and driving it back from Keith's in Gettysburg..A few hundred miles later at my house I could not get any gears...2 weeks ago my friends bled the clutch, only took 40 mins, and now I got all my gears.. It shifts great but now at around 5,500 rpm it jumps out of 4th gear...The peddle feels great, shifts great but now I got a fourth gear problem.. It could be just the Pilot bushing..cause I am getting heavy vibs at high rpms..Hoping the input shaft is tight. and syncro is ok and it is just the pilot bearing
.I'll report later...thanks guys................
Old 05-28-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

04Vguy
TECH Apprentice
2004 Cadillac CTS

Trader Rating: 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't think it's been done yet. I'm literally just gunna buy an 80e have it built. Then install with a sawzall. After its in ill fab up a nice stainless or aluminum center console wrap it innblack carpet and call it a day

I agree......Not to get off topic but how does one list like 6 quotes from a thread in 1 single post???? and add a response?? I have over a couple thousand posts and never knew how to do that....I copy and paste one's remarks and highlight it for now..thanks anyone..U can PM me
Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GREG O.
04Vguy
TECH Apprentice
2004 Cadillac CTS

Trader Rating: 1

I agree......Not to get off topic but how does one list like 6 quotes from a thread in 1 single post???? and add a response?? I have over a couple thousand posts and never knew how to do that....I copy and paste one's remarks and highlight it for now..thanks anyone..U can PM me
Don't know how to do multiples but for just one you hit quote at the bottom of their post and the. Type your response if that helps any lol
Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Automatic

Originally Posted by DMM
I have an 80E sitting on the floor and the mount and tail shaft are in almost the exact same locations. The problem with the V is the rectangular steel bulkhead where the fire wall and floor board meet. All you need is room for the bellhousing, the tunnel itself is nearly wide enough but will require some massaging. It'll fit like a condom.

I plan on throwing the 80E on the trans jack and see how far off it really is from fitting when I pull the trans for the clutch and rebuild. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics.

Greg - you're only a few minutes up the road from my shop...I'll give you a shout when I have this apart and you can come see for yourself. Just have to finish the cam and heads I started yesterday.
Thanks, sounds great.I might have my t56 out by next week....I might just pay someone to go to Crazy Rays an try to find me a 4L80E..Would I need one like out of a late model truck like a 2006..or do u think I can get one like out of a 3/4 ton Surburban or Silverdo..I think my 99 2500 Suburban has the 4L80E....I guess I will start another thread on that question... BUT, if all I need is a freakin pilot bearing...It's staying in. check everything out and most likely sell it since I bought the XLR.....Just too many vehicles..[[[No violations since 1989, 65 yrs. of age, I have been to many of the best driving training courses, I have a 1 million mile accident free certificate from Roadway CORP and I am paying $6,200 per yr for my 6 vehicles...4 have full coverage.
ps: maybe if I get mine out next week I can drive down and bring it up to my friends shop and we can take pics an do some estimating????
Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DougNuts
Originally Posted by Zexell
Getting parts for a G8 isnt much fun either but they arent bad. Coworker has one and ive always liked the styling of them.
Originally Posted by GREG O.
[COLOR="Indigo"]
Crazy lil technology called . . . "QUOTE". You can multiquote by hitting the icon that looks like quotes with a "+" symbol. If you're doing this on your phone, it says "REPLY", but it's really quote. Copy all the ones you want to quote into a single post.

Quick Reply: automatic