Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb and Cam Selection Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb and Cam Selection Help

Greetings everyone,

1st post here, so please be kind

I'v been working on a 74 Camaro the past 4 months with very mixed results. Started with a Gen I small block build up consisting of an L98 bottom end, GM Hotcam kit, long tubes, etc. This particular engine had an Edelbrock 600cfm Performer carb on a Performer RPM intake. Unfortunately I rolled the dice on a used engine and lost as the bottom end spun a bearing when dyno tuning.

Had a decision to make about buying an off the shelf crate engine (Gen I again) or attempting to convert to Gen III. Eventually ended up going Gen III and am in the process of installing an LM4 (aluminum block 5.3). Going to be using an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, LSA exhaust manifolds, and MSD 6010 spark controller. This car is for a very mild street build. It has a Turbo 350 TCI Street Figheter Transmission with 2,000 stall converter and 3.43 rear end gears. It gets used as a hot rod with mostly street driving, and the occasional drag strip visit. Low end TQ is preferred to high end HP due to its street use.

I'm seeking advice from the experts here about what camshaft and carb to run on the new setup. I was told by a technician at Edelbrock that my 1405 600cfm Performer carb isn't right for this new setup. (Maybe it wasn't right for the old one either) I'm open to any brand at this point that will provide great regular driving characteristics and not hamper performance. It would be nice to not have to change too much in terms of transmission linkages.

I was also considering the Edelbrock camshafts specifically designed for carb applications, but have also been hunting for an LS6 cam. Also have considered a factory 98-00 LS1 cam. (super cheap option)

Any feedback that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have already done some digging through the archives and learned quite a bit, but would prefer some opinions to my specifics.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:01 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Edelbrock 2215 cam and a Holley 650 mechanical secondary. From your description, it would make the combination a pleasure to hear, a great cruiser and plenty of low end power on demand and still have some upper end power.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the super fast feedback. I was looking at the 2215 but then saw this dyno comparison and there wasn't much for gains over the ls1 cam.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...sc_conversion/

For the minimal gains I don't think I would go that route. Unless there is another variable that I'm not considering. (5.3 vs 5.7??) I know the tight LSA on the Edelbrock would make the car sound "cammed" but that really isn't as much of a consideration as opposed to performance. I couldn't justify the cost of the cam, springs, etc if the stock LS1 cam (which can be had for as little as $25) would be that close to it.

What series of Holly carb do you sugget? They have tons... and their online wizard said that vac secondaries would be preferred to mechanical due to the car's weight and transmission. (Not that I would question your opinion, I'm just new to the carb thing and trying to learn as I have an EFI background)
Old 05-27-2013, 03:41 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Only thing I saw on that link is a dyno comparrison from the efi to carb intake. Stock cam for both. The edelbrock cam will bring power in quicker as well. A LS6 cam made 405 with ls6 heads, the 2215 made 420 from edelbrocks site with stock ls1 heads. That should be enough to speak for itself. I think if you are going to save any money, leave the stock cam in it then.

I use regular Holley carbs, whatever I find on eBay when it comes to the non serious builds. Cut off the choke horn and rebuild them.

The stock ls1 cam is not going to make the power of the 2215. Although just a bit more lift, its the added duration and tighter, much tighter lsa. Allowing the small converter you have to still function well enough. The 2215 can use stock springs but I suggest spending 60$ more for some ls6 springs to drop in.

Worth it for the sound and additional power to me.

Quick Reply: Carb and Cam Selection Help