General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt out of adjustment bad tensioner? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Belt out of adjustment bad tensioner? Pics

My belt isnt sitting properly on my tensioner but sits good in everything else. Bad tensioner? No squeaks rattles etc

Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get yourself a Katech Belt Tensioner.....

It's a fixed tensioner.....it does not move with a spring like the factory tensioner does. This is the major flaw if the design of the factory tensioner.....it's allowed to bounce anytime the accelerator is hit. This does two things....allows the belt to slip as you accelerate and it also stretches the belt....which then later on cause it to come off and rip. then your stick on the side of the road.

YES....the factory tensioner works. That's obvious. But it's a crap design. All the geniuses at GM had to was to make a fixed tensioner. I would have been cheaper to design it. No moving parts. Then people would never have belts flying off and the belts last 10 years....easily. The belt on my engine was on my 427ci for the past 9-10 years, can't remember exactly. Now that same belt is on my new 390ci.......it's in perfect condition. The factory tensioner RUINS belts.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you change anything on the car???

The tensioner looks just fine and a new one won't solve your geometry problem. When this happens to me, I usually just have the belt in the wrong crank pulley grooves. This is easier to confirm under the car.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Never changed anything....... Belt looks to be sitting fine on the crank and every other pulley except tensioner.... I haven't tried to put it back on the tensioner properly maybe it just jumped and just needs to be put back in place....
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't touch anything if you don't have a problem. After i replaced the pulleys because they were worn an squeaky it must have caused a slightly different angle and tension on the water pump as that began to drip within a month of pulley change.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada204
I haven't tried to put it back on the tensioner properly maybe it just jumped and just needs to be put back in place....
That's what I'd do. The marks on your tensioner look perfect. It must have hopped off a little right after the replacement. Just pop it back on and re-check.

Quick Reply: Belt out of adjustment bad tensioner? Pics