Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e rebuild problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e rebuild problems

I havent been on the board in a while. I know the vehicle isnt a fbody but it still got a 4l60e in it. its a 96 blazer 4x4 with the 4.3 in it. The original problem with the vehicle was 3rd gear was burnt and also bad clutch return springs. I had my tranny tech at the dealership go through the tranny and replace what was needed. I got the tranny back in the vehicle and topped off with fluid but the problem now is that I have no reverse or manual low.
If you put the selector in drive than it shifts as it designed but when I go into rev, it acts like another clutch is being applied. When going into rev you can feel it go into gear and rpm drop but nothing happens and the rear tires cant be even turned by hand (feel locked up). When you go into manual low the vehicle jumps and surges and does all type of weird stuff. So just wondering if any of you guys have encountered this problem and know of remedy.
Thanks in advance
Jhery
Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like either the low/reserve roller clutch (sprag) was installed upside down or the low/reverse clutch is binding. (I.e the trans was assembled incorrectly) I don't know the symptoms in this area well and have therefore asked Carlsonauto to chime in, or perhaps one of the other builders can confirm or correct me.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at the valve body/vb gaskets.. I would say fluid is going where it shouldnt be... The low roller clutch is a roller therfore cannot be installed backwards like an actual sprag can. Also crossleaks in the pump can do weird things with no explanation.... Was the stator support changed?? Maybe it was replaced with the incorrect one?? just a few thoughts..........
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, you definitely have a cross-feed of some sort. In reverse, if any elements other than the low/reverse and the reverse input clutches are engaged, you'll have a tie-up. This means that if any one of the overrun, forward or 3-4 clutches, or the band are engaged in reverse, it will lock the gear train.

As was mentioned, check the valve body gaskets and check the pump halves for a misfit of any sort. Check the sealing rings on the input shaft, especially the one furthest outboard. This seals between the overrun circuit and converter release oil. A leak here will back feed and apply the overrun clutch causing a tie up.

Other than that, he'll just have to retrace his steps until he finds it...
Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

ight, he was thinking it was something with the valvebody bc the gasket pretty much fell apart upon disassembly. so hopefully the tranny doesnt have to come out but we will see. thanks for help.
anyone have a clutch application chart?

Last edited by musclemonte; 05-28-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 PM

Here is a clutch application chart:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=259692

CarlsonAuto and Dynamic396: Thank you for correcting me and the better advice.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

the tranny is back on the bench, found some dirt in the valve body gasket and a possible sticking valve. does anyone have a diagram of what solenoids control what on the valvebody??
Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 AM

A nice diagram of the valve body is Figure 30, Page 31 of the 4l60E Technicians Guide; Here is an online version of the guide:

http://www.grail-ss.com/GRAIL%20Webs...ETechGuide.pdf

I just took a quick photo of that image; not super clear, but here it is:

Last edited by mrvedit; 05-31-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 05-31-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't waste your time looking at solenoids, instead, I would pull the pump, input and rev drums out, inspect the front portion of the input drum where the input shaft goes....look for a crack or cracks below or around the torrington that rides between the input and rev drum.
Did u by any chance drop the trans while removing-installing? This will crack the input from the jolt and weight of the convertor and u will have EXACTLY this problem. Been about 15-20 years, but I have seen this TWICE, both times same cause......

I would stack up the input, reverse, and pump to pressure check thru the pump housing. Look for forward or overrun clutches appying when the rev circut is pressured up....
Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 AM

All good, accurate advice JUNK, but I don't think the OP has the trans out of the car yet. He might as well ensure there are no cross-leaks in the valve body before removing the trans and following your excellent advice.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

What valve was sticking, and where was the dirt?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

i was told that it looked like the 3-2 control valve was sticking and the dirt was on the valve body gasket. No the tranny wasnt dropped when I took it out, I was very careful not too since I was trying to reduce the risk of damage to hard parts.
JUNK, much appericated with all of the advice, i will relay the info to my tranny builder. He been a tranny tech for over 30 years but he has limited knowledge on chevy since I work at a ford dealership.
MRVEDIT. Thanks alot for the file, that should greatly help figure out what is going on in the tranny
Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

what problem can be caused if the valvebody bolt goes and touches the sun shell???
Old 06-03-2013, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Was the transmission run with the bolt in the wrong place? How did the bolt get there in the first place?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

think it might have ran with it in the wrong place and problem got in the wrong place from when it was assembled. im not rebuilding it, the tranny tech is
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by musclemonte
think it might have ran with it in the wrong place and problem got in the wrong place from when it was assembled. im not rebuilding it, the tranny tech is
Then the tech made a SERIOUS mistake. You know how air conditioners have the label "Do not drop out of window"? Well any tech working on a trans should know "Do not put the VB bolts in the wrong position".

This will chew up the sun shell and flood every clutch, orifice and valve with metal shavings. He owes you a complete rebuild.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, that's a seriously rookie mistake. There are 3 bolts that are longer than the rest. They are easy to identify (other than their length) by their 8mm heads. These bolts MUST go in the correct places or this will happen.

You also mentioned earlier about a stuck valve and dirt in the VB gaskets. I'd find another builder...

Oh well, at least that explains why your reverse was bound up.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

well I checked all of the internals of the tranny before it went back together and it was all in good shape. no metal shaving In the pan or anything. so I'll prob put it back in tomorrow or the next day and see how it goes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

well i got the tranny back in the truck and everything seems to be all good so thanks for your guys help
Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Glad to hear you got it running. Sounds like you should rebuild future transmissions yourself.

Quick Reply: 4l60e rebuild problems