New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non critical bolt question

Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non critical bolt question

For the fasteners on the exterior of the engine, can I use high grade hardware from mcmaster or do I need to purchase the OE replacement hardware? For example can I bolt my accessories and transmission up using this kind of hardware?

Also, whats the rule on what to use loctite on and what not to? Anti seize? Assembly lube? What kind of torque do i apply to these bolts considering that I have an aluminum block and the hardware is harder metal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

For the accessories and trans you don't need to use Loctite. You will want to do a search for ls1 torque specs. I believe you can find all torque specs if you visit ls1howto.com. Do a search for this and you should get what you are looking for. As for not using the OE style bolts, is there a reason you don't already have them? I wouldn't say its critical to use them for the accessories, but if it where me I would use them for the transmission mounting at minimum.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Teching In

I am building the engine from the ground up, and was curious if i should spend the extra coin on OE bolts for the accessories and such
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sivart173
I am building the engine from the ground up, and was curious if i should spend the extra coin on OE bolts for the accessories and such
Right on! It really is not critical for those parts. Good luck with the build!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you are putting on... accessories... doesn't necessarily matter.

Things like head bolts, flywheel, pressure plate / converter, headers, bell housing. Anything that is critical, id use stock bolts or upgraded from someone like ARP.

And like you stated, its an aluminum block... so no air tools, no impacts, do it by hand, inspect all of the threads, don't force anything, do it to spec. Ls1howto.com

Most of the parts you don't use locktite. Antiseize on the spark plugs only.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: non critical bolt question