What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2001 SOM Firebird Formula

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 SOM Firebird Formula

I found a 2001 SOM Firebird Formula at a local used car lot for $8995. It has 121,500 miles, t-tops, leather, automatic. It's is pretty much bone stock except for a K&N CAI and a Flowmaster catback. The motor ran really smooth, no oil leaks, pretty clean in the engine bay and underneath the car. The transmission shifted kinda hard from first to second when you accelerated quickly. At slow acceleration it shifted just fine. There was a rattle from what sounded like underneath the car (I'm thinking maybe the exhaust pipe after the y-pipe) at about 2-3k rpms. The paint was in pretty good shape for being a 12 year old car. Some dings and rock chips in the front, scraping on the bottom of the front bumper (which I expected), t-tops in great shape with their sun shades. All the weather stripping looked pretty good too. The interior had the usual cracks in the door panels, no cracks in the dash, a small tear in the driver's seat, no major stains on the carpet or mats, center console lid was kinda broke and the kick panel on the driver's side was loose and the hood release was coming apart. A/C worked great, windows were not slow at all and they fully raised and both headlights flipped open and closed. The only other noticeable thing wrong with it besides the hard shift in the transmission was the oil pressure gauge did not work. The needle was all the way to the right even with the car off and no key in the ignition. Here's the link to the car lot's website so you can see some pics.
http://glendaleautosource.com/ads/20...dale-arizona/#
I also took a few of the door codes and some of the chips in the paint. I haven't done a Carfax on it yet. I was thinking it would be worth paying around $6-7k for it. Think that's reasonable? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 2001 SOM Firebird Formula-img_0499-1.jpg   2001 SOM Firebird Formula-img_0505-1.jpg   2001 SOM Firebird Formula-img_0502-1.jpg   2001 SOM Firebird Formula-img_0501-1.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Carfax is clean, no accidents or damage reported. 3 owners, the last of which had it for just over 8 years. It's spent most of it's life in Phoenix, AZ and it's first 7 months in Michigan.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

I agree with your thinking. That's a $7,000 car on a real good day, and something in the $6,000+ range is even better. I would not pay over $7,000 for it. Their asking price is too high, especially with the issues you have found. There are bound to be more.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I might go back and take another look at it next week. Those SOM cars are so hard to find. If I could sell my '99 Z28 I'd walk in there with $6k cash and see if they'd take it.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavyArms SS
Thanks for the input. I might go back and take another look at it next week. Those SOM cars are so hard to find. If I could sell my '99 Z28 I'd walk in there with $6k cash and see if they'd take it.
You are certainly right about that (the SOM color) and I would pay a slight premium for a SOM car if I really wanted one, but NOT on a car with that mileage. No way.

Quick Reply: 2001 SOM Firebird Formula