Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Yet another "sticking pedal" issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another "sticking pedal" issue

My first post so be easy on me lol. Im a hardcore lurker on here but I just wanna ask about this issue real fast and see what yalls ideas are. I HAVE used search and read everything I could. Just haven't found anything exactly like my issue but very similar. Gonna be a long explanation but please be patient my friends.

Ok first off, 2000 z28 with 100k on her. Had it 2 months now, dude I bought it from said and provided me with a receipt stating slave cylinder was replaced a couple days before I bought it. Car was stock all ive done is a MGW shifter and SLP lid.

Ok the problem, couple days ago driving along and pedal randomly sticks half way. I think WTF but it doesn't do it again. Next day reversed out drive way, put in it first and pedal sticks half way. WTF again but it doesn't do it anymore just that one time. For 3 days it would just stick once and only when I first start it up and first time I take off in gear.

Today, different story. It stuck and kept sticking. Coming home from work, gotta drop a deuce, it just got worse and worse. Pedal was sticking closer to floor board with every shift. Only did it when shifting into and out of gear. I can pump it just fine while in neutral.

The clutch itself is engaging cause I could drive just fine when I took my foot off but the pedal would just stay an inch off the floor at most until i pull it up with my foot. Normally the clutch engaged halfway up when releasing the pedal but now it releases basically instantly as soon as I start raising my foot.

Just ordered a Tick master and ill try bleeding the system tomorrow. Any thoughts??? and don't bash me too hard if I missed the post that has a problem EXACTLY like this, cause im sure there is.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

That does sound a bit different than the norm. However you are on the right track with diagnosing and repairing the problem by ruling out the master and bleeding the hell out of the system.

Have you noticed any loss of hydraulic fluid?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Teching In

I checked the fluid immediately after the first "stick". Looks clear and is full. Checked it several time over last couple days also and hasn't changed. Thanks for you quick reply!!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

my pedal is being stupid too. It will stick a bit when releasing. For me its when i am slipping into first. when im one slipping it and i pull my foot off the pedal the peal will momentarily stick and then pop up. Not a lot but I can feel it. Lemme know if tick solves it. Are there any other nice masters out there?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SpeedyMerrickan
my pedal is being stupid too. It will stick a bit when releasing. For me its when i am slipping into first. when im one slipping it and i pull my foot off the pedal the peal will momentarily stick and then pop up. Not a lot but I can feel it. Lemme know if tick solves it. Are there any other nice masters out there?
I have the exact same issue with a Monster stage 2 clutch. When releasing the pedal, there is a momentary lag towards the top of the release and then I hear it pop into place.. Doesnt affect drivability but is very annoying!

Any ideas?

Q
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Pull the pedal assembly out and see if its jammed up somehow/binding etc. Theres a return assist spring in the pedal assembly that might me broken or jammed as well. Id start by removing the master from the pin and cycle the pedals on their own to check for bind and function. The spring should hold the pedal down without the master hooked up.

If you dont find anything there pump the master by hand with the pedal with another lever somehow and let it go to see if it returns fine on its own etc. This problem will need to be looked at step by step eliminating possibles until you find your smoking gun
Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam
Pull the pedal assembly out and see if its jammed up somehow/binding etc. Theres a return assist spring in the pedal assembly that might me broken or jammed as well. Id start by removing the master from the pin and cycle the pedals on their own to check for bind and function. The spring should hold the pedal down without the master hooked up.

If you dont find anything there pump the master by hand with the pedal with another lever somehow and let it go to see if it returns fine on its own etc. This problem will need to be looked at step by step eliminating possibles until you find your smoking gun
This was my first thought too. It is pretty simple to disconnect the master cylinder rod from the clutch pedal. Just remove the kick panels and find the connecting clip (flathead pops it off). Check movement on the clutch pedal itself. If the pedal moves normally then perhaps try disconnecting the master hydraulic line from the slave. It's pretty easy to get to when the car is jacked up. This way, you can depress the end of the hydraulic line to let pressure off and have another set of hands press the rod into the master cylinder. That should help you isolate the problem...
Old 06-14-2013, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this issue with it sticking most of the way up then popping up on a stock master. It would also stick to the floor sometimes like all of the other issues too, but in normal driving it would do the "stick pop". Switching to a Tick Master fixed everything though, the sticking, and also the sticking and popping up.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

. Are there any other nice masters out there?
McLeod has them. They use Wilwood MC's and they make whatever adapter specific to a particular year car.

Mine was part of their Street Twin clutch kit. Nice unit and is also adjustable rod.

Pic below is for 86-97 F body but gives you an idea of what the Wilwood part looks like
Attached Thumbnails Yet another "sticking pedal" issue-mcleod-mc-1.jpg   Yet another "sticking pedal" issue-mcleod-mc-3.jpg   Yet another "sticking pedal" issue-mcleod-mc-box.jpg  

Quick Reply: Yet another "sticking pedal" issue