LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A4 and roll racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 and roll racing

Hey guys been back from alaska for a few weeks after a great run and have a stupid question for you guys. I should just take it easy till im M6 but how much abuse is it on the stock 4L60E A4 roll racing in lower gears? I blew the last tranny about 2 years ago doing a burnout with 4 people in the car with over 80,000 miles on the tranny (wouldnt go in reverse) in front of a club. I know embarrassing. lol New tranny has about 20,000 miles on it and been flirting with the lower gear alittle bit. I dont want to end up with a blown tranny again. Burnouts with 600lbs worth of people I will never do again. Just want to know how badly im taking a risk roll racing threw 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on the highway.

Note:

Stock 2.73’s still spins from a 3-4000rpm roll in 1st
Rear end is whining
There is some play in the rear end gears
Stock 1500 converter

Since ive made a new schedule for tranny fluid - Every 7,000 miles im assuming that will prolong longevity.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

ehh rip on it if your just going to m6 swap it anyways :p

if your prettymuch stock it will take abuse for quite a while ... ask me how i know

who roll races anymore? lol

if your really that worried about it get a temp guage for the tranny and keep an eye on it. heat is what kills auto trannies

you will know when your tranny has had enough, the 2nd to 3rd shift will get sketchy
Old 05-30-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fwiw I was told by a Trans mechanic that manually upshifting my 4l60/700r4 is better on them especially from 1st to 2nd rather than just hammering it from drive or 3rd because it utilizes the forward and reverse clutches together and that if you're in 4th and Wana hammer it first dropping it into 3rd helps to not roll/kill sprags or clutch packs ...however don't make a habit of manually down shifting as its not as healthy on the trans.. So I drive around mostly manually upshifting unless I'm just babying it ... Use a cooler
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Fwiw I was told by a Trans mechanic that manually upshifting my 4l60/700r4 is better on them especially from 1st to 2nd rather than just hammering it from drive or 3rd because it utilizes the forward and reverse clutches together and that if you're in 4th and Wana hammer it first dropping it into 3rd helps to not roll/kill sprags or clutch packs ...however don't make a habit of manually down shifting as its not as healthy on the trans.. So I drive around mostly manually upshifting unless I'm just babying it ... Use a cooler
ive never had anyone tell me upshifting manually is good for it and i know downshifting manually is bad. i second the shifting down to 3rd and the cooler idea, if the trans is getting hot... hence he needs a guage to find out

Quick Reply: A4 and roll racing