Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no-start, maybe VATS issue, after loading new tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default no-start, maybe VATS issue, after loading new tune

I'm getting nothing happening when turning the key to start, and it's acting like maybe VATS has gotten into a bad state. This is right after loading a new tune using hptuners, which I've done may times before with no problem, and it's just a slightly edited version of the tune I was already running, and the upload completed without error. Anyway my question is: can VATS be causing the problem if the security LED doesn't go on? From what I've read about VATS, if it's in no-start mode, it will turn on the LED, but mine is not lit at any point.

What happens is: turn key to run, gauges light, turn to start, everything goes dark and nothing happens. Try again but now everything stays dark, nothing. Wait a few minutes, try again and it repeats the same from the beginning (gauges light first, but then don't after that). LED never lit. Doesn't that seem like VATS except for the LED?

I've ruled out bad battery or a blown fuse. Also probably not a bad key resistor, I have 2 keys and they both do the same thing. Haven't ruled out bad starter relay (have one on order).
Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a loose battery cable
Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure battery is charged good first.... then reload tune. If you put a battery charger on it... I stress that you do not load tune until after battery is charged and charger is removed from battery.

Let us know what the fix is so that the next person with this issue can hopefully find the answer with the search function.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Problem found, actually sreve was close even though I had cleaned the terminals and tightened them to 11... it was just a stupid extra long terminal bolt I'd gotten at walmart, which uses a lead spacer - no matter how tight it was, the contact between the cable and the bolt wasn't good, just enough to fool a voltmeter.

Quick Reply: no-start, maybe VATS issue, after loading new tune