Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Running Hot W/ Iron Block & Turbo F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Running Hot W/ Iron Block & Turbo F-Body

I have a turbo f-body, running stock radiator and fans, with the original aluminum block it never ran hot, but as soon as i put the iron block in, its been running 3/4 way on temp gauge, fans staying on all time, a/c turned off. i was told iron blocks run hotter. it has new radiator cap & thermostat. stock fans and stock radiator. should i upgrade fans or radiator or both? which brand name to get? was looking at getting a champion 3 core aluminum radiator. or keep my stock stuff and add 2 fans in front of condenser. what yall think?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you running the stock thermostat or one with a lower opening temp? Have you adjusted your tune to have the fans come on earlier?

Do you have the hot side coated or running a turbo blanket if it's close to the radiator?

If all else fails, you might need to look at a thicker core aftermarket drop in replacement.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Are you running the stock thermostat or one with a lower opening temp? Have you adjusted your tune to have the fans come on earlier?

Do you have the hot side coated or running a turbo blanket if it's close to the radiator?

If all else fails, you might need to look at a thicker core aftermarket drop in replacement.

160 thermostat and yes its tuned for it. hot side coated, no turbo blanket, never had issues with aluminum motor.

Quick Reply: Running Hot W/ Iron Block & Turbo F-Body