Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune on stock 05 CTS-V w/Dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune on stock 05 CTS-V w/Dyno numbers

Hey guys, I'm not on here pounding away at the keyboard much because I do it enough at work then when I'm playing around with my hobby, tuning LSx's.

With that being said, I wanted to give a short background of this car and the tune.

2005 CTS-V rebuilder... (trying to get it finished if I could just stay out of it), bought it right, damn near stole it actually. This car is 99% stock but only because one of the cats was rattling so I had them cut off. Other than that... Bone Stock.

I have been tuning it on the street pretty much between work and the house, just dialing in the VE, MAF and timing to what I thought was optimal on the old Butt Dyno and using the AEM Wide band that I stuffed down in my ash tray. I have my VE and MAF Cal really tight now and I could not believe how far it was on the lean side from the factory, upwards of 12% out actually. There is so much power to be made just dialing in the very generic tunes that these things come with from the factory.

The first picture is pretty self explanatory, shows my new baby on the Dyno at Humble Performance in Tulsa Oklahoma.

My first Dyno pull was on the stock tune. Peaking at 326 hp and 321 tq. I was hoping that it was going to make more than that but its the cards I was delt so, whatch gonna do.... Tune it of course. After the first pull, I put what I call my street tune in it and the graph below shows the gains.
17.37hp peak gain
12.09tq peak gain

Next I starting tuning it on the dyno. With the heat soak, I was barely able to get much over 24* of timing due to KR which I don't see on the street. The rest of my pulls are dyno queen tunes but I know it will make more on the street because it runs 28* with no KR. After Lowering the AFR from 13.0 to 12.8 I was able to make a considerable amount more power which the next two graphs show. The first one showing the difference between my street tune and final tune and the second one is compared against the stock tune. Enjoy..

Total Peak Gains from stock.
26.77 HP
26.42 Tq

Last edited by mm_n_p; 05-30-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats awesome man! 30 hp from a stock car is pretty damn good!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:34 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where are your air/fuel numbers?
That would be a clue to the big gains. Some of those cars go into COT mode on a dyno pull. Big gains stopping that. Also aftermarket "cold air kits" screw up the fuel trims so on the first pull it will be adding 10% or more fuel to an already over-rich car. Big gains fixing those two problems. Cars with that engine and neither issue won't pick up that much. If the car owner is watching, and you don't explain that to them you look like a real hero. LOL
Good job fixing that one.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Where are your air/fuel numbers?
That would be a clue to the big gains. Some of those cars go into COT mode on a dyno pull. Big gains stopping that. Also aftermarket "cold air kits" screw up the fuel trims so on the first pull it will be adding 10% or more fuel to an already over-rich car. Big gains fixing those two problems. Cars with that engine and neither issue won't pick up that much. If the car owner is watching, and you don't explain that to them you look like a real hero. LOL
Good job fixing that one.
I did not use the AFR on the dyno, I used the setup on my car tied into my tuning software but it was lean, upwards of 14.0 until it hit COT on the stock tune. Hell... with the PE delays and the COT like you mentioned, It was all a factor with it being lean, there was KR so timing was being pulled, the MAF cals were way off even with the stock Intake. All this was playing a part , so AFR was no where near where it needed to be. I would say that a large part of the tune was just cleaning up the EPA residuals built into from the factory but none the less, HP is HP. Not trying to look like a hero, I don't have customers and it's my car, but you are right as usual.

Good to hear from you agian ED, havent seen you since you tuned my 96 Impala and gave me all the pointers on the build and told me where to get my intake and heads done at. Then you turned around, dyno tuned it for me all day and didn't charge me a damn dime. Leaving me with a Monster Sled and and extra $500+ in my pocket. Don't run across that every day but I never forgot it. I still owe you so... Hit me up anytime if you need any advise on tuning, lol. That was a joke.

Actually a friend of mine bought your old dyno so... if I can get him off his *** and put it in, then I wouldn't have to hop around from shop to shop to get in a dyno.

Steve

Last edited by mm_n_p; 05-31-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 AM
9-Second Club

Steve, my only old dyno was in the floor at CarFX last I heard.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Steve, my only old dyno was in the floor at CarFX last I heard.
Interesting... because I'm pretty sure that they still have thiers. He may have just been getting his leg pulled when he bought it.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by mm_n_p
Interesting... because I'm pretty sure that they still have thiers. He may have just been getting his leg pulled when he bought it.
He might call them to ask it they replaced it. I would be surprised.

Quick Reply: Tune on stock 05 CTS-V w/Dyno numbers