General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with cooling!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with cooling!

I was on my way home from work today and sitting at a stop light when I heard "poof". White steam started pouring from up under the hood. I pulled over and investigated...
I thought I may have blown a radiator hose, but I found that my engine coolant level sensor was dangling unplugged. It had some silcone on it where the previous owner must have rigged it up, and it appeared to be in rough shape.

I checked the coolant dipstick and I still have plenty of coolant in there. Also, there was no sign of any coolant leak. I just had coolant spray on the passenger side of the engine, especially on the battery, which is right by the level sensor.

Could this have caused my issue? I plan on replacing the sensor tomorrow. I'm scared that it could be a head gasket or something.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the coolant level sensor that screws into the radiator, or however it installs, needs to handle 18 psi or whatever the radiator cap is rated for. so it sounds like the sensor didn't hold a seal and with the pressure in the radiator you would get a nice spray everywhere. definitely fix that first before worrying about other causes.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Will do, thanks 1 FMF. My buddy and I are going to tackle it tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FinallymyT/A
Will do, thanks 1 FMF. My buddy and I are going to tackle it tomorrow.

And.....you don't check coolant levels with that dipstick......that's just an overflow tank. The ONLY way to check coolant level is to take the radiator cap off and look into the actual radiator.....COLD ENGINE ONLY.... It must be literally topped off where the coolant is about to overflow out.....then you put the cap on. Zero air makes for the best coolant system.

That coolant sensor very easily pops into its port, then that metal clip goes on. That's it. Takes about 10 seconds.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

I took the radiator cap off yesterday and took a peak. There is good-looking green coolant that is at a level almost right below the coolant sensor. I'm gonna run to the parts store today, get a new sensor and will post an update.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Banned

I took the radiator cap off yesterday and took a peak. There is good-looking green coolant that is at a level almost right below the coolant sensor. I'm gonna run to the parts store today, get a new sensor and will post an update.
That makes sense. It leaked out down to the sensor port. Put the new sensor on.....then make sure you top it off....all the way off. Till its overflowing out of the radiator fill cap.

Also.......buy a new radiator cap. They are cheap and its good to replace them every year or two. I use the Stant cap with pressure release lever. Is like $4.00

Old 06-01-2013, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Make sure the metal clip to the sensor is not faulty. I actually took mine off to bend it a little more in the right spots so it would clip more securely. I have heard of way too many storys of them popping out.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

I changed the sensor, topped off the coolant and let the car idle at temp for about 10 min...

No more overheating! And no giant plume of steam.

But...now my low coolant light is on? Also from the steam bath, now my A/C pulley sounds like crap. When I run the A/C though, that noise goes away. I am more concerned at getting the low coolant light to extinguish.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Banned

I changed the sensor, topped off the coolant and let the car idle at temp for about 10 min...

No more overheating! And no giant plume of steam.

But...now my low coolant light is on? Also from the steam bath, now my A/C pulley sounds like crap. When I run the A/C though, that noise goes away. I am more concerned at getting the low coolant light to extinguish.
Unplug the plug to the coolant sensor, plug it back in, see if it kills the light. New sensor should keep that damn light off......that's strange.....

Maybe disconnect the battery for 30 min........clear everything.

The squeaking is from coolant all over the belt and pulley wheels. Only way to clean that sticky crap off is to idle the engine and with a garden hose.......let water run onto the a/c pulley wheel for a little while. I cleaned mine that way once when I got coolant everywhere. You basically have to reactivate that sticky **** so it can then be rinsed off.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks LS6. I did just what you said. I found some green vertigris in the connector for the sensor. I cleaned it will a small picture nail. Once the sensor was reconnected, no more light!

I also carefully sprayed the pulleys w/ a garden hose and the noise is all but gone. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Banned

Thanks LS6. I did just what you said. I found some green vertigris in the connector for the sensor. I cleaned it will a small picture nail. Once the sensor was reconnected, no more light!

I also carefully sprayed the pulleys w/ a garden hose and the noise is all but gone. Thanks!

Sweet.......

Quick Reply: Help with cooling!