Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 GTO motor in a 32 starts but dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 GTO motor in a 32 starts but dies

Put an ls2 in a 32 coupe. We are using an ls1 harness from painless with the proper extra connectors to make it work on an ls2.

Went to start it and it will start and than dies almost instantly. When we try and start it again it acts like it is out of timing. If you keep tring it will eventually start and die.

I'm have a feeling most will say its a vats problem but the computer should have had it taken out. I do not have the ability to check for myself though.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is the battery located? How did you run the power cable(s) from the battery? Also the ground cable(s)? Is the ECM throwing any codes?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just ran into this and it has the wrong maf tables in the ecm, unhook maf and see if it runs.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Teching In

It is running sd no maf.

The battery is in the trunk of the car. I was thinking about the grounds myself, that is something that needs to be checked. It is throwing a code it is P0342 which is a cam sensor code.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

If the main power cable goes from the battery to the starter then onto the ECM power that is a no-no. The ECM/fuse panel needs a power source(cable) straight from the battery. Having a starter in the middle draws the power down to much.

Also the ground cables need to be the same size as the power cables. Have the frame, chassis and motor all grounded together with large cables or straps.

What size cables are you running?

"It is throwing a code it is P0342 which is a cam sensor code."

Check the other things first as the ECM may just be throwing out codes because of the power situation. However, maybe your camshaft is not degree'd correctly. Another thought is a wiring or camshaft sensor problem.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

PCM hot in start AND run off the key??
Old 06-01-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

vats turns off the injectors , if you have a way to check the pulse , the injectors will pulse a few times and then stop , another caveman mechanic way to check is with start fluid , get a buddy to spray while you try to start it , if it runs with start fluid and dies when you stop spraying it may be vats , or an injector problem , vats was a serious pain in my build , and it was exactly like the problem you are describing , good luck and when you figure it out post the cure for the next guy , i did read a thread where a guy had gummed up injectors after the engine sat for years , he ran seafoam thru each one out of the engine and it cured his issue
Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Teching In

May have found part of the problem, extension harness for the cam sensor was plugged in backwards. That was due to the connectors no being wired right.

Got the motor to start but it still dies. It will fire right back up than dies after a minute or so. It seems like it runs out of fuel and dies. Checked the fp it is at 58 psi. Checked all grounds where good.

I am wondering if the problem is that the alternator is not wired. Maybe the computer is not getting the proper voltage. Could this be the problem? If so how did you guys wire the alt?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you sure the IGN 12+ Hot is staying hot on both The START and RUN and also doesn't cut out when you go from Start to Run ?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
Are you sure the IGN 12+ Hot is staying hot on both The START and RUN and also doesn't cut out when you go from Start to Run ?
No I have not checked that, I will though. We had the data port hooked up to a scanner to monitor what was happening but when we went to start it the data port went dead than came back on after the motor was running.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

"I am wondering if the problem is that the alternator is not wired."

That is a loose end that needs to be done anyways. You might as well fix that problem and see where you are at and go from there.

Quick Reply: 05 GTO motor in a 32 starts but dies