Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

AC and hot coolant temp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default AC and hot coolant temp?

I was driving my V today in hot weather, and running the A/C. It's about 92 out right now.

I got "Coolant hot idle engine", so I shut my AC off, and coasted, and almost immediately the temperature went down to the middle line where it normally stays.

When I built my 408, i put this thermostat in the water pump. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mr...FQSZ4AodixoAPw

the stem that holds the thermostat is a little longer than the stock one, but it was just pushed down by the rest of the water pump, to stock location, so what i'm saying here is, although the stem is longer, the opening mechanism is still the same throw. The car was running at fine temperatures when it was in the 60's... the only thing that has changed is I pulled my radiator out to put a new A/C compressor in.

Anyone else experienced any "fluke" overheats, or is this something I need to figure out?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but you did properly bleed the radiator after pulling it out, correct? I know that a small amount of air can cause it to run pretty hot.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, actually i had a friend finish the job as it was on his lift and i had to go to work... i smelled coolant and went to tighten my cap, and well, it popped off and burned me bad enough that i had to go to the hospital, so there's a light mix of dex-cool and water in the system now, as i had to get myself to the emergency room. i just went out and slowly took my cap off and enough pressure was there... but a few bubbles did come out. once it cools down i might go out and start it up and let it idle with the cap off for a bit.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:07 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I vote for faulty T-Stat. I have tried almost every aftermarket one available (to include the exact one you listed as well as a regular SB Chevy stat) and none have maintained temps as well as a stock unit. Hell, I've even set the fans to come on at 165 and it still ran 185.

Put the OE one back in and see if it happens again.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the buddy who did the bulk of the compressor installation just happened to forget to plug in the radiator fan...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm sounds like that would affect things.....
Old 06-02-2013, 10:27 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
Well, the buddy who did the bulk of the compressor installation just happened to forget to plug in the radiator fan...
That will do it every time! Good thing you caught it before it caused any harm!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You should really double check everything that anyone else does to your car. Luckily this didn't do anything to seriously damage your car or cause a wreck and hurt you or someone else. This is a prime example why I turn every wrench or watch every wrench turn in my car.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

It did hurt me, it boiled my coolant and pressurized my cap so much that it popped off when I touched it and put me in the emergency room with my hand covered in 3rd degree burns.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honest mistake..glad u and the car are ok.

Quick Reply: AC and hot coolant temp?