Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to downshift 1st/2nd...Throwout bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to downshift 1st/2nd...Throwout bearing???

just fixed 5th/6th and Reverse keys, put in new stock clutch.... I put some grease on the input shaft/pilotbearing... i did not touch the throwout bearing.... this is the only thing i have done...... bled clutch with mighty vac and replaced all the fluid, THEN bled again using the bleeder screw.. clutch feels GREAT.! But I can only get into first and second while sitting still, and even then its sometimes difficult..... what is causing my problem?????

also reverse lockout is not working correctly and my speedometer is not working now??? blown fuse???

thanks for any help suggestions..
Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 AM

when you fixed 5 and 6 did you disasemble the entire trans? Or did you just open the back section and do the repair.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

just the tailshaft... everything else worked fine.. i just had worn pads, broken keys from slamming 5th all the time and the Reverse pads were worn out.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 AM

If that's all you did and removed the unit from vehicle I would suspect clutch issue or pilot bearing. Assuming you did the repair properly.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

would too much grease on pilot would cause this??? or do you think maybe i just need to bleed the clutch more??? its got me kinda stressed/pissed.....tranny works great on upshifts... i can bang the hell outta the gears.. its just downshifting thats my issues..

clutch engages pretty high up in the pedal travel....right where it should...
Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM

That would be a good idea, if you have or know someone with a mighty-vac pump you can power bleed it. Too much grease on pilot, no, but not good for the clutch disc if it wer to fling outward on the disc area. Tiny amounts of air will just compress enough to cause slight problems but not always noticable on peadle.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

ok thanks.. I used my mighty vac master and manually bled the slave.. i think i might still have some air in the slave..... thanks for your input.... Ill see if i can get it bled some more this afternoon.. and come back with my results..
Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't shift from to 2 nd to 1 st if your going more than 10 mph
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM
FormerVendor

What is the pedal effort like? Is it consistent? Is it easier to shift into first or second if you pump the clutch pedal?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
What is the pedal effort like? Is it consistent? Is it easier to shift into first or second if you pump the clutch pedal?
Pedal feels FANTASTIC!!! its always the same.. never gets any better by pumping it up.. Feels as if it is BLED, and Bled PERFECTLY..... Just hard to get into 1st and 2nd while moving, AND will grind if i dont count 4-5 seconds when sitting still.... If I listen closely, I can hear the clutch fully disengage while sitting still, then put it into gear with no grinding...
Push clutch and instantly put into gear results in a grind.

Quick Reply: Hard to downshift 1st/2nd...Throwout bearing???