Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1st Run in with Godzilla......

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Run in with Godzilla......

So late last night I pull into a gas station off the feeder road with my GF and notice group of young Indian kids off the side with a newer 12+ graphite grey GTR and a modded old sentra SE-R. I fill up gas, and then fire up to leave and a guy gets in the GTR and fires her up as well. As I get ready to exit to a red light on the feeder road, I hear him throw a rev at me. I lean over to the GF and ask her if she was in the mood to race these guys; she said let’s do it. I throw a rev back, and one of the 3 other guys yells out “let’s do this, wait there.” In the meanwhile, I put my convertible top up as to not let that slow me down. One kid jumps in the passenger seat of the GTR and the other 2 jump in the Sentra. As he pulls up to me (kid looked like he was 17), I ask him what he has done to that thing (it did not sound stock). He says back “just some exhaust work.” The way he said it, I didn’t believe him. Anyway, I definitely did not want to race him off the line, so I told him lets jump on the highway and he agreed. We get on the highway and he jumps to my left side. I see his passenger has a video camera and is filming. I try to start a little high at 75 mph thinking that would be to my best advantage. So I’m in the meat of 3rd gear waiting for him. Give 3 honks and we are off. I jumped out ½ a car and held it. By the end of 3rd, he is somewhere in my blind spot. I rip a perfect shift into 4th (love my new MGW STS), and I keep my eyes on my HUD. 115, 120, 125 mph, he is still in my blind spot. Then, as we get to 130mph right at the powerband of my 4th gear, I hear that classic GTR grinder exhaust sound suddenly get louder, and he pulls past me the length of his GTR. We both immediately let off at that point and I jumped off the 1st exit.

Looking back at the race, I’m proud of my bolt-on LS2 vette to hang with a 12+ GTR with at least exhaust work. If I had ended the run at 130, I would have took the win, but I never expected him to come around on my right at the meat of my 4th gear. I still can’t believe how he did that. I have a new respect for these cars. They are no Evo’s for sure, they have ***** even in the triple digits. I hope the passenger post the video one day.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol k.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Teching In

maybe he started in the wrong gear because that shouldn't have been close, but thats not your problem. good kill.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

he must have had an aftermarket tune, which makes the car slower.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

I am gonna go ahead and say he was probably ******* with you. There is no reason he shouldn't have been a mile ahead at that point. Not hating but come on dude you can't think that car is that slow.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by callmedoc
Looking back at the race, I’m proud of my bolt-on LS2 vette to hang with a 12+ GTR with at least exhaust work. If I had ended the run at 130, I would have took the win, but I never expected him to come around on my right at the meat of my 4th gear. I still can’t believe how he did that. I have a new respect for these cars. They are no Evo’s for sure, they have ***** even in the triple digits. I hope the passenger post the video one day.
Sounds like he started in the wrong gear. Stock for stock a 2012+ has a 7-10mph trap advantage on you since your car is an LS2. Good run though.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Teching In

It’s possible I beat the driver, as I drove my car to its max potential. It’s possible he started in a wrong gear (although I did hear him downshifting prior to the run). Only the tape of the run will ultimately tell; everything is just assumptions.

Hitman, what do 12+ GTR’s trap 126 or so? Although I haven’t ran my car with it’s recent mods, I’m confident it can trap in the 122 or so range as is. Given that, and if he really only had an exhaust mod, the race seems plausible from a 75 mph roll I would think.

Anyway, my C6 will have some FI soon as well, even the playing ground a bit…..
Old 06-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Teching In

dum Given that, and if he really only had an exhaust mod, the race seems plausible from a 75 mph roll I would think.
Gtrs even being awd will still run from you at that roll, they don't lose much up top w/ their trans. A 12+ is a good race for a z06, you think you can honestly hold off a Z in a bolt on ls2..?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

From title I thought you raced a godzilla gtr...lol

Old 06-02-2013, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No offense OP, but the LS2 does not stand anywhere near a close chance with a GTR. Roll or dig. He was most likely in wrong gear, etc.
Seeing as it looks like your main power mod is LT headers on your car, I would say you are not in the low 120's trap speed. C6Z's trap low 120's to mid 120's average stock.

Edit: Just noticed tune/full exhaust etc... so not sure of trap speed range.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Launching!

i dont know im sure it was a close race as he had passanger and ls2 with his mods should put him really close just like he said
Old 06-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dekan513
i dont know im sure it was a close race as he had passanger and ls2 with his mods should put him really close just like he said
Anything can happen on the street, I just don't see a Bolton ls2 vert pulling half a car on a gtr w/ exhaust to 130. Gtr was most likely in wrong gear or messing w/ you. A Bolton 08 ls3 is a lil more likely to give it a run for its money, and even then I'd pick the gtr.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put a bad hurting on a C6 in my 500, and I believe a GTR would be hard for me to take at my current mod level. Thats where my thinking comes from. There is a guy in an 09' GTR with only increased boost and downpipes at my local 1/8th mile running 7.0's @103mph.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by srt6xf
Gtrs even being awd will still run from you at that roll, they don't lose much up top w/ their trans. A 12+ is a good race for a z06, you think you can honestly hold off a Z in a bolt on ls2..?
Do I think I'll beat a stock Z06. Probably not. But if he is not as good of a driver as I am, I'm going to give him a run for his money just like I did this GTR. After all the years I've had this car, I think I pretty much mastered driving it to its potential. You should know a Vette is only as good as it's driver. Heck, I think I still have the all time highest trapping stock LS2 car on the CF fast list. Maybe I have a strong LS2 C6 (the guy who tuned my vette at corvettes of houston said mine dynoed high for a bolt-on/tuned LS2 car). I don't know. I hate assumptions. But I will say, the Z51 6-speed makes or breaks the LS2 C6's. The gears are perfect for this car and they are definitely faster than the non-z51 C6's. The ratios are even better than a Z06.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2SSARME
From title I thought you raced a godzilla gtr...lol

I have, well a 1000 HP GTR anyway. I don't street race, usually. Just wrong place @ the right time...& an EVO at the same time.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It’s possible I beat the driver, as I drove my car to its max potential. It’s possible he started in a wrong gear (although I did hear him downshifting prior to the run). Only the tape of the run will ultimately tell; everything is just assumptions.

Hitman, what do 12+ GTR’s trap 126 or so? Although I haven’t ran my car with it’s recent mods, I’m confident it can trap in the 122 or so range as is. Given that, and if he really only had an exhaust mod, the race seems plausible from a 75 mph roll I would think.

Anyway, my C6 will have some FI soon as well, even the playing ground a bit…..

122? At Atco in December maybe. Or possibly candy mountain raceway. If he came around you like that you got a helluva hit or he was wrong gear/messing with you.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Lol, he strikes again
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8EATR
122? At Atco in December maybe. Or possibly candy mountain raceway. If he came around you like that you got a helluva hit or he was wrong gear/messing with you.
Trapped 115.86, bone stock. Either I'm a better driver than most Corvette owners or I have a FF. Maybe both.

Audacious, you must be an LS1 GTO owner, right?

Originally Posted by dekan513
Thanks dekan for the input. But around these forums, C6 Z51 LS2's are magically slower than LS1/LS2 GTO's.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have your top up this time?
Probably why you outran him
Old 06-05-2013, 05:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait wait wait...you asked your girlfriend permission to race?

Quick Reply: 1st Run in with Godzilla......