Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Time to step up the Brake Game

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to step up the Brake Game

After 5 track days in the V I have decided the Stock front calipers just aren't good enough. Amazon was selling the V2 yellow front calipers for $550/pair, i could not pass that deal up.

These things make the V1 calipers seem puny. So far I just purchased the calipers, mounting hardware and EBC yellowstuff pads. I am going to run on the smaller V1 rotors for now. If it causes me issues I will be purchasing the centric co-cast V2 rotors and re-drilling them.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm
Old 06-01-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you getting rear calipers to match? I've been looking at the V1 and V2 rear calipers on Amazon, and besides having different part numbers, I can't see a difference based on the images they provide.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is going to be a mod i do eventually. I guess you just have to re-drill the two 12mm on the hub to 14mm if im correct?

ohh and you have nice legs.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Are you getting rear calipers to match? I've been looking at the V1 and V2 rear calipers on Amazon, and besides having different part numbers, I can't see a difference based on the images they provide.
The rear calipers are exactly the same from the V1 to V2. I haven't gotten them yet. i plan to eventually either paint match or buy the new ones already painted.

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
This is going to be a mod i do eventually. I guess you just have to re-drill the two 12mm on the hub to 14mm if im correct?

ohh and you have nice legs.
Correct, just drill the 12mm holes to 14mm. And those are actually the GFs legs lol.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I look forward to seeing how well it does with the v1 rotors
Old 06-01-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you tracked a lot of other cars? If not, seems strange that after 5 track days you were already overdriving the stock calipers.

That said, I have those same calipers with matching rears sitting on my bedroom floor.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you flush/bleed your brake lines, make sure to put in some high-temp fluid, like SuperBlue or something like that?

What pads are you running?

-meaty
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Have you tracked a lot of other cars? If not, seems strange that after 5 track days you were already overdriving the stock calipers.

That said, I have those same calipers with matching rears sitting on my bedroom floor.
This the only car I've tracked however the brakes have never seemed to have the feel I was looking for. I've tried several pads and still feel the pedal and stopping getting softer in my later runs.

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
Did you flush/bleed your brake lines, make sure to put in some high-temp fluid, like SuperBlue or something like that?

What pads are you running?

-meaty
I bought ate super blue fluid to enjoy these brakes with. For now I'm going to run the ebc yellowstuff for now since I don't know how it will work with v1 rotors.

Last edited by Onefast V; 06-02-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Onefast V

Correct, just drill the 12mm holes to 14mm.
Seriously that is all it take to run them? Are you getting v2 bolts/nuts?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

That doesn't seem right. The V2 rotors are larger than the V1. My intuition is telling me that your brake pads are going to overrun the contact surface on the smaller rotor.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
That doesn't seem right. The V2 rotors are larger than the V1. My intuition is telling me that your brake pads are going to overrun the contact surface on the smaller rotor.
They will. AAIIIC has already posted pictures of that problem somewhere. Seems to me that if you were planning on running the V2 calipers you would also run the rotors, and redrill them for the six lug. Which has also been done. AAIIC runs V1 rotor hats with the V2 rotor size attached (cant remember what size that is). Come to think about it I believe this is all on cadillac forums. So two piece rotors will be on the bill. It makes no sense to me to upgrade the calipers without increasing pad contact (bigger rotor). I plan on doing this mod eventually, but not until the price for the calipers comes down, or i find a deal on some.

I was debating if it would be worth it, but it seems like everyone who tracks their car on the regular says they need more braking power. So instead of dumping $ into the front V1 brakes I will hold off for this mod as well.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are right Fuzzy. He will not have the same contact or braking power as with the V2 rotors as well. With that being said I think that Onefast V is fully aware of that.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Onefast V

I bought ate super blue fluid to enjoy these brakes with. For now I'm going to run the ebc yellowstuff for now since I don't know how it will work with v1 rotors.
I think he meant with the stock front calipers. Were you on R-comps or street tires?

It still sounds to me like there was a problem with your stock setup. I've never had many brake fade issues with 30+ track days with the majority on R comps. Hi-temp fluid, Ti shims and good pads.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Anyone come up with any good brake ducting?? I'm still running my HP+ pads and my front calipers are turning gold from the heat lol
Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Isaacs
Anyone come up with any good brake ducting?? I'm still running my HP+ pads and my front calipers are turning gold from the heat lol
I'm building a kit for the V1 right now. Im hopeing to have a finished product to sell in 2 weeks. Trying to work out costs with suppliers to keep the price down. When I have a finished kit I will let everyone know.

*just know I only plan on making 10 kits to start. So once those sell out I don't need or want this to turn into another rev shift type thing. So if you're not in on the first order expect another 2-4 week lead time.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Heh. I'm working on building an underbody diffuser in aluminum. People estimate that about 30% of the drag of a typical passenger car comes from there. The real question that I have to solve is whether or not to open up a ram air inlet to the engine bay.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The last two posts in this thread intrigue me...

Keep us updated on both. I want them.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
I think he meant with the stock front calipers. Were you on R-comps or street tires?

It still sounds to me like there was a problem with your stock setup. I've never had many brake fade issues with 30+ track days with the majority on R comps. Hi-temp fluid, Ti shims and good pads.
This is with nitto nt05s, pretty sticky but not full slicks. Also I am aware the pad will have overrun on the v1 rotors (roughly 1/4"). Until I can find a machine shop to enlarge the center bore and drill the 6 hole pattern.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2007V
Seriously that is all it take to run them? Are you getting v2 bolts/nuts?
the v2 bolt are a bit too long so you will have to either cut them down a bit or use some spacers.

and other cars have had similar swaps to larger calipers from a newer better version and had some overlap and they have managed to run those setups fine, but not ideal.

Im curious about that diffuser, rear or front?

Quick Reply: Time to step up the Brake Game