Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

72 Cutlass S Fastback with 6.0 LQ4 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 Cutlass S Fastback with 6.0 LQ4 Swap

Hey everyone

I have a 72 Cutlass S that I am about to begin swapping in a 6.0 LQ4. Currently the car has the original #'s matching 350 engine and Th350 tranny. It has Drums all around, and It is an AC Car with Power steering. I was wanting to know some information on the Swap.

Phase I- The Engine and Drive System
In doing my research I am leaning towards going stock on the 6.0 for now and looking to get:

1). Complete 6.0 LQ4 with 4L60E combo
2). 95 Caprice Gas tank with Fuel Pump for the EFI
3). F-Body Oil Pan
4). Radiator with Electric Fan- Any Suggestions on this??
5). Tac Pedal- depending on which motor I get Drive By Wire or Cable

I would like to know if there would be any clearance issues with this setup? Which engine mounts would be best so that it limits the number of clearance issues? I've heard that the Truck intake might need to be swapped with a LS1 intake for better flow, clearance and for looks. Would the 6.0LQ4 stock Accessory drive system clear under the hood with no issues? I've also read that the F body oil pan might need frame notching to fit and also the Gas tank may need frame notching as well along with modifying the rails. Any information on Clearance issues would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking to find out if this setup would work with my stock Guages? How would I convert if need be? Do you suggest just getting aftermarket Electric guages? Would I encounter any problems with the Tranny as far as tunnel positioning, cross member notching, connectivity to the rear end? I have a steering shift column, would it be best to mount a floor shifter or will my column shifter suffice? How would I put the TAC pedal in that I plan on getting along with the pullout motor? Since my car is an original AC car could I hook up the 6.0LQ4 AC system directly to the stock setup or would I have to completely overhaul the AC system? Depending on how i fall within my budget I may or may not do the wiring harness myself, Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this setup?

I may have missed some important factors so any advice/ Information would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 72 Cutlass S Fastback with 6.0 LQ4 Swap-side-view.jpg   72 Cutlass S Fastback with 6.0 LQ4 Swap-trunk-pic.jpg   72 Cutlass S Fastback with 6.0 LQ4 Swap-rear-quarter-panel.jpg   72 Cutlass S Fastback with 6.0 LQ4 Swap-front-hood-view.jpg   72 Cutlass S Fastback with 6.0 LQ4 Swap-grill.jpg  

Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Teching In

I can't answer all your questions, but I do know that no overdrive automatic transmissions fit the tranny tunnels from years ago. I ended up buying a gear vendors OD unit and putting it on my turbo 350 trans in my '71 SS. Hacking up the trans tunnel means stock carpet wont fit any longer and, in my case, also meant center console install issues. Probably best to go with a floor shifter for ease of install. If your fabrication skills are good and you can weld, it would be possible to connect it to the column shift. Choose your battles wisely though, you will have many ahead of you. Note: remember your column shift was not set up for OD. Once the trans is positioned, you will need to have the drive shaft cut to length and the proper yoke installed. Make sure it is balanced, very important. Watch drive shaft angle also. Make sure, when observing driveshaft angle, the tires are supporting the vehicle weight. Remember as the suspension travels, the driveshaft moves in/out on the trans output shaft, leave enough travel space. Check rear pinion angle while you're at it, not easily adjustable, but nice to know. Best traction is between 3 and 5 degrees down. I personally have had no luck with electric fans, but cooling high HP motors in the south FL summers isn't easy. My classics have clutch fans. I just put a heavy duty clutch on my GTO and helped solve it's cooling issues. A standard clutch didn't cut it. Don't forget about rear gear ratio, select based on needs and factor in OD when selecting. Hopefully you have all the engine wiring harness and comp. Integration of the harness will be a bit tricky, remember if your car was originally a points type distributor, the key switch coil feed will have a resistance wire at the engine compartment bulkhead connector which limits voltage to 9V. Always important to know, even if just upgrading points to electronic ignition on a basic upgrade. I hope this helps some. Hopefully others can contribute more info to help you out. Post pics along the way and keeps us updated on your progress. Good luck with it.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Welcome to LS1Tech!!

Quick Reply: 72 Cutlass S Fastback with 6.0 LQ4 Swap