Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Standalone oil system (long ish)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standalone oil system (long ish)

I am building a standalone oil system for my rear mount TT journal bearing, and wanted some incite from those who have been down this road. I have a crude drawing of what I am trying to accomplish and wanted to see if anyone would rearrange any components to achieve better results.

to describe this better... I am using an-6 fittings and 3/8 inch hose. I will have a oil tank in the rear compartment of my C5. the line will run out the compartment and into a filter mounted on the outside. from the filter will run to a shurflo 12 VDC, 1.7 GPM open flow, 35 PSI Bypass, Buna valves, Geolast diaphragm. from there will T into the turbos. from the turbo will go either into a cooler or into the pump as of now I was thinking pump then cooler. I will be using a Setrab 6 1/2" x 4" with a fan attached.

worries:
1.pressure control. not enough or too much. will be doing bench test prior to install. I can rig a Potentiometer to control the voltage of the pump :shrugs:

2. placement of pumps in the line to allow effective psi
Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

what you makes you feel this is an advantage over engine supplied oil? not trying to knock it at all, just curious what makes you feel it is a better option then engine supplied oil pressure and a pump for return.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

I made one for my rear mount s10, it works fantastic! But looking at your drawing how do you plan to return oil back to the tank? Do you plan on mounting the tank above or below the turbos? Dont even worry about the oil cooler, it's simply not necessary, contrary to what people may say the heat produced captured by the oil from the journal bearings of the turbo is very very little, it takes about a solid 50 miles of interstate driving to get the oil to heat up. as for controlling the pressure I just put a tee on the turbos oil inlet with one side feeding it from the pump and the other is a 4an bypass with an oil restrictor going back up to the oil tank, on top of that I have the speed of the pumps controlled by a pwm. This system works extremely well and I would prefer to use it even on a front mount.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
what you makes you feel this is an advantage over engine supplied oil? not trying to knock it at all, just curious what makes you feel it is a better option then engine supplied oil pressure and a pump for return.
Because pumping oil from one end of the car to the other with your engines oil pump and then returning it all the way back to the oil pan is kind of retarded. Run over something and snag an oil line, your engine just lost all oil pressure, not to mention taxing the oil pumps ability to supply even more, not having to worry about coking the turbos bearings with super heated oil and always having a clean supply of oil for the turbo with no carbon from the engines combustion byproducts. Just because something is the norm doesn't mean its best.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U will need oil tanks under the turbos. Then have the pump pull out of them and push the oil to the cooler then fillter then to the turbos.

I had the same thing on my tt rear mount steup.
You can look up pics in my buold thread on caddyfourms
Old 06-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
U will need oil tanks under the turbos. Then have the pump pull out of them and push the oil to the cooler then fillter then to the turbos.

I had the same thing on my tt rear mount steup.
You can look up pics in my buold thread on caddyfourms
Or mount the tank above and just run a second pump to push the oil back up to the tank like im doing.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5.3-on-steroids
I made one for my rear mount s10, it works fantastic! But looking at your drawing how do you plan to return oil back to the tank? Do you plan on mounting the tank above or below the turbos? Dont even worry about the oil cooler, it's simply not necessary, contrary to what people may say the heat produced captured by the oil from the journal bearings of the turbo is very very little, it takes about a solid 50 miles of interstate driving to get the oil to heat up. as for controlling the pressure I just put a tee on the turbos oil inlet with one side feeding it from the pump and the other is a 4an bypass with an oil restrictor going back up to the oil tank, on top of that I have the speed of the pumps controlled by a pwm. This system works extremely well and I would prefer to use it even on a front mount.
Sorry I wasnt subscribed to this and didnt know anyone replied hahaha.

Anyway... I plan on having two pumps one for feed and one for return. The tank will be above the turbos in the trunk compartment. I have seeen others say forget the cooler. so I may do so. I am going to be doing some bench testing before installing this so I can figure out the PSI and make sure all is well before throwing it on. What pump(s) are you using?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Teching In

good question. I have a need to make things... I like to have the satisfaction of saying I made this my own. Customization,thats what its about for me. There are not many stories about a conventional oil systems going out, however.... I had these turbos on my SRT-10 and driving one day blew my motor because a turbo oil line (the metal hard line) sprung a leak on a bend then when I was at WOT it was blowing oil out faster than I realize what was happening.... So in this setup I will never kill the motor and the turbos. just one or the other... in theory.... plus as stated, there is clean oil without engine contaminants so using clean oil is better for the turbos and prolongs the life.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3-on-steroids
Because pumping oil from one end of the car to the other with your engines oil pump and then returning it all the way back to the oil pan is kind of retarded. Run over something and snag an oil line, your engine just lost all oil pressure, not to mention taxing the oil pumps ability to supply even more, not having to worry about coking the turbos bearings with super heated oil and always having a clean supply of oil for the turbo with no carbon from the engines combustion byproducts. Just because something is the norm doesn't mean its best.
yea about as retarded as running fuel lines from the back of the car huh? snag a fuel line and your car will catch on fire. guess you should mount the fuel tank in the engine bay by your logic. i know the pros and cons of each, like i need you to explain it to me. and yes the super nasty engine oil in turbos kills them daily... its so bad for them... lmao. the question wasnt for you. i was wondering why the OP wanted to do it over conventional. i wasnt saying doing a independent system was wrong, i was curious of his reasons with the plumbing, storage tank and inherent risk of running 2 electric pumps which if either one fails wont be good.

c5vette211: sound reasons man, like i said in my first post i wasnt knocking you, just curious what steered you towards to independent setup.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Run the tank - pump - cooler - turbos

Most pumps dont like having to suck.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Run the tank - pump - cooler - turbos

Most pumps dont like having to suck.
Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Teching In

yea about as retarded as running fuel lines from the back of the car huh? snag a fuel line and your car will catch on fire. guess you should mount the fuel tank in the engine bay by your logic. i know the pros and cons of each, like i need you to explain it to me. and yes the super nasty engine oil in turbos kills them daily... its so bad for them... lmao. the question wasnt for you. i was wondering why the OP wanted to do it over conventional. i wasnt saying doing a independent system was wrong, i was curious of his reasons with the plumbing, storage tank and inherent risk of running 2 electric pumps which if either one fails wont be good.

c5vette211: sound reasons man, like i said in my first post i wasnt knocking you, just curious what steered you towards to independent setup.

HAHA no offense taken I got what you were getting at. I agree not a conventional way to go about it but I like the concept and a challenge. I know the turbos will be just fine off engine, but this is just different and possibly better. I would rather change a turbo pump instead of a engine oil pump. Its a pain in the ******* on my car. I will have a warning lights on the pump setup to allow me to shut off the car in the event of a pump failure. I know I am not pioneering this but it is a project and if it works great if not I just go back to the conventional way. I will be bench testing this so there is no way of f-ing anything up, so where is the harm in a little R&D :thumbs: I am getting the same questions from the other post I made... http://www.theturboforums.com/thread...%28long-ish%29
Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Since you wanna go ahead and play the ******** card. How you compare pumping fuel and oil from one side of the car to the other is beyond me since you arent burning oil off you're just pointlessly sending it back and forth leaving a huge margin of error for leaks and line snags, like the op's personal experience stated, one big leak at wot and you drained the oil pan before you even had time to see the low pressure light. Not to mention the car will shut off from a fuel leak well before it has a chance to catch fire most of the time.

The solution to the pump failure is running a simple low pressure alert light, just like the factory would. Believe it or not turbochargers are alot more tolerant of oil starvation than engines are.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2 stroke snowmobile guys have been doing this for a long time
Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Krom
The 2 stroke snowmobile guys have been doing this for a long time
interesting! I will look into this. thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Teching In

sound advice from a forum friend. "Bearings aren't lubricated via pressure. They just need the right volume of oil, correct viscosity, temp, etc."
Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Launching!

I'd probably put the feed pump before the oil filter instead of after it. Honestly there probably isn't even a need for a filter. You're not going to have much in the way of contaminants in the oil.

Quick Reply: Standalone oil system (long ish)