Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e.. problems once tranny is warmed up

Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e.. problems once tranny is warmed up

Ok I have a 1999 Chevy silverado. The transmission was rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago. Gave the truck to my son. The truck was running great. He then decided to hit a parked car and set off both airbags and did allot of front end damage. Long story short. Truck was repaired and is now running and has about 100 miles on it since the wreck. The transmission is now disengaging after the truck warms up. No check engine light or any blinking lights.

You can get into the truck and the transmission shifts through all the gears and goes into overdrive fine. But after about 2 to 8 miles of driving the transmission stops supplying power to the wheels. feels like it is in neutral. Engine rpm's will shoot up as if you are in park or neutral. This is with the shift lever in all positions. Just turn off the truck and wait about 5 minutes and the truck runs great again. Transmission shift fine. untill it gets warm and then it disengages all over again. turn off and wait.

All I have for a scan tool is a pocket scanner. No codes are present.

I am thinking a loose electrical connection. Is there anything else that I should be paying attention to that may cause this.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Teching In

I am having my 4l60e rebuilt for a similar problem. I was told by the rebuild tech that it is the pump going out but I suspect that maybe it is more along the lines of the bands are burnt and are expanding under heat. Bottom line, either way, best to just do the full rebuild. sorry not better news for you, it is hitting me for close to 2K.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crzymike
Ok I have a 1999 Chevy silverado. The transmission was rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago. Gave the truck to my son. The truck was running great. He then decided to hit a parked car and set off both airbags and did allot of front end damage. Long story short. Truck was repaired and is now running and has about 100 miles on it since the wreck. The transmission is now disengaging after the truck warms up. No check engine light or any blinking lights.

You can get into the truck and the transmission shifts through all the gears and goes into overdrive fine. But after about 2 to 8 miles of driving the transmission stops supplying power to the wheels. feels like it is in neutral. Engine rpm's will shoot up as if you are in park or neutral. This is with the shift lever in all positions. Just turn off the truck and wait about 5 minutes and the truck runs great again. Transmission shift fine. untill it gets warm and then it disengages all over again. turn off and wait.

All I have for a scan tool is a pocket scanner. No codes are present.

I am thinking a loose electrical connection. Is there anything else that I should be paying attention to that may cause this.
Sounds like the filter is plugged up. Most likely the converter is bad or the foward clutches are wiped out, either way the trans needs to come out and gone through.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 AM

thanks for the reply's.. I was thinking the same thing. Looks like I will be dropping a transmission this weekend.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:27 PM

Default Me

Originally Posted by crzymike
thanks for the reply's.. I was thinking the same thing. Looks like I will be dropping a transmission this weekend.

did you find the problem?
Old 03-16-2020, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

after 7 yrs.....i bet not
The following users liked this post:
MaroonMonsterLS1 (03-16-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e.. problems once tranny is warmed up