General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 to LS3 future swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 to LS3 future swap questions

I'm looking at swapping a LS3 block with forged internals into my '02 SS this winter and I need to know what I can use off my present LS1 to the LS3? I have a lot of mods that I'm hoping will be a direct swap and bolt up from block to block. Here is my list of mods that I have currently on my LS1 motor:

AFR 205 heads, 228/228 LSA 14 cam, stock LS1 crank, Fast 102 intake and T.B., Long tubes, 42 lb. injectors.

Will I be able to use all of these on the LS3 block?
If not, which ones will not work and why? I was told that everything will work on the LS3 but wanted to make sure. Was originally going with an aluminum LS2 but was told to go with the LS3. Info needed thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFitters35th
I'm looking at swapping a LS3 block with forged internals into my '02 SS this winter and I need to know what I can use off my present LS1 to the LS3? I have a lot of mods that I'm hoping will be a direct swap and bolt up from block to block. Here is my list of mods that I have currently on my LS1 motor:

AFR 205 heads, 228/228 LSA 14 cam, stock LS1 crank, Fast 102 intake and T.B., Long tubes, 42 lb. injectors.

Will I be able to use all of these on the LS3 block?
If not, which ones will not work and why? I was told that everything will work on the LS3 but wanted to make sure. Was originally going with an aluminum LS2 but was told to go with the LS3. Info needed thanks!
Everything will work, They are basically the same block except for some minor differences and obviously the 4.065 bore on the LS3 compared to the 3.9 on the LS1. I think the 205 heads and cam will be alittle small, but someone with more knowledge could chime in. You just need a few wiring things as I know that they moved some of the sensors around on the Gen IV blocks (LS3,LS2,LS7,ect.) as compared to the gen III (LS1, LS6), but again someone else should be more help with those things. Hopefully I answered some of your questions! Good luck
Old 06-04-2013, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if your going forged internals why would it matter to use your stock ls1 crank? yes it will work but if your geting a forged ls3 order it with the 24x reluctor wheel, btw everythign WILL move over however in my opinion the heads and cam are to small for that setup you will need to extend your knock sensors and cam sensors, you cannot use the front cover or cam gear from the ls1.

IMO I would sell the heads and cam, intake injectors and move up to a ls3 setup later on, i would atleast go larger with the cam for now.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Teching In

I was told the crank was the same in the ls1,2, and 3 and it was good for 1000h.p.
That's why I was going to just use that crank instead of spending big money on a forged crank. As far as the heads couldn't I get them ported? The cam I can handle spending money on since its cheaper. But heads are a lot more and if I can just port my heads instead of buying a whole new set I'd do that. I'm open for suggestions. Just want to do it right the first time, but if I can save money on things I'd like to.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What lift is your cam? I believe the LS3's stock cam has .551. The intake is fine but the injectors aren't much larger than the stock LS3 size. The cranks are similar but the LS1 has a 24X reluctor wheel, the LS3 has a 58X.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Look forward to having the pcm tuned as the injector tables and other things im forgetting need to be changed. It would be sweet if you didn't have alot of money put into your head/intake setup now because LS3 heads rock. Those 2.165 intake valves are beastly.

Quick Reply: LS1 to LS3 future swap questions