LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Banging head, Clutch disc cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Banging head, Clutch disc cleaning.

Well I am really hating this car now. So I had a rear main leak on the fresh rebuild. So I took everything apart and installed new gaskets. The clutch and flywheel were pretty dirty so I spent about half an hour cleaning the flywheel,pressure plate, disc with brake cleaner. Disc still looked darker than it was when I installed it 300 miles ago. So with everything cleaner I reinstalled everything. Went for a drive and decided to make a pull on the car since it now has working brakes. Anyways going into 4th it felt like it may have had a small slip. Went into 5th and it slipped really bad. So let off and it caught.

So thinking its time to pull the clutch again and maybe try a clean. I had this happen a few years ago when my brother spilled oil on a brand new zoom stage 2 kevlar clutch. Now my 1500 mile spec stage 3 may have the same problem for a leaking rear main seal. I am hoping that there is something I can do to maybe clean it. Any ideas guys or I am just boned. After 4.5 years of fighting this car and dropping ever spare dollar into the car I am ready to give up and sell this stupid thing.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Well the disc may be oil saturated, in which case it's junk or seeing how it's a new clutch and 300 miles is not alot of break-in time you could run it some more and see if it tightens up. If you keep driving it to see if it improves try not making it slip in the higher gears (which generates alot of heat and WILL ruin the PP and flywheel) and get another 500 miles on it and see if it is better. What do you have to loose?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tom94TA
Well the disc may be oil saturated, in which case it's junk or seeing how it's a new clutch and 300 miles is not alot of break-in time you could run it some more and see if it tightens up. If you keep driving it to see if it improves try not making it slip in the higher gears (which generates alot of heat and WILL ruin the PP and flywheel) and get another 500 miles on it and see if it is better. What do you have to loose?
Yeah, true. Ill take it for a drive tomorrow. Ill add a picture of the clutch. Its a spec stage 3. Normally yellow. Now not so much. Pic is before cleaning. Pressure plate and flywheel are good disc looks about the same.

Last edited by 96Formula6spd; 06-05-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How much slip would you say before it grabs again? If it acts like you are flashing a torque converter then I would definitely say it is hosed. If you only see maybe 100-300 RPM increase then it will probably burn off in a week or so from driving through some heavy stop and go traffic
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

When you replaced the clutch did you also replace the flywheel with a new one or get the original resurfaced?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevo9389
How much slip would you say before it grabs again? If it acts like you are flashing a torque converter then I would definitely say it is hosed. If you only see maybe 100-300 RPM increase then it will probably burn off in a week or so from driving through some heavy stop and go traffic
Was a 1000-1500rpm jump
Originally Posted by SS RRR
When you replaced the clutch did you also replace the flywheel with a new one or get the original resurfaced?
It was resurfaced. The clutch had a nice easy 700 city miles break in. Was holding great. I had the rear main puke its guts for a few hundred miles. Had to drive the car with the leak. Now after 300 miles its covered in oil causing a slip.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Village Troll

The clutch is trashed if it was soaked in oil.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS RRR
The clutch is trashed if it was soaked in oil.
What I am thinking. However a bunch of road racers and lechump guys on another forum say to take it out and use like 3-4 big cans of break clean on the disc. Some have had to do overnight fixes in lechump and find they can get the disc clean and working 100% again after oil on them. May be worth a shot or maybe just buy a new disc and use the new pressure plate I have laying around.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Village Troll

It may work? I guess it depends on how deep the oil is in the discs. It's either try that and have to take the trans out again or buy new and be assured you don't have to deal with the hassle. Dunno about you, but I cannot stand taking the trans out if the car is on the ground.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had to pull the clutch again, it's getting a new disk. Just how I do.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
If I had to pull the clutch again, it's getting a new disk. Just how I do.
Yeah what I am thinking since I have a new pressure plate laying around. Buy new disc and sell the plate from this one and the disc cheap to anyone who wants it for like $50 Brand new pressure plate. Granted I had to toss the spec throw out bearing so the zoom one is in this pressure plate.

Quick Reply: Banging head, Clutch disc cleaning.