Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2015 Mustang (s550) shots

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2015 Mustang (s550) shots

Newest pics of the crapstang. IRS and wider track showing.

via Mustang6g

Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A nice step forward for the Mustang.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Looks a bunch like the rear of a 1999 Cobra from here. Then again, the current Mustang probably handles notably better than that did, with live axle. All this hype about IRS is going to end with perhaps millions of disappointed "Mustang lovers" in America and elsewhere and hundreds of happy automotive based writers being elated and not even really knowing why in any way they can literally explain(and we'll see this in their "reports" forthcoming). IRS is so pathetically overrated, it would be nearly impossibly to describe. I mean, for the average driver who simply never will experience that ragged edge feeling in the handling department. The general vehicle owner doesn't even know what IRS means, or if their car has it, let alone whether or not it's helpful. For most people, it's never really going to be helpful, at least in even the slightest meaningful way. It will always be more expensive, however.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Looks a bunch like the rear of a 1999 Cobra from here. Then again, the current Mustang probably handles notably better than that did, with live axle. All this hype about IRS is going to end with perhaps millions of disappointed "Mustang lovers" in America and elsewhere and hundreds of happy automotive based writers being elated and not even really knowing why in any way they can literally explain(and we'll see this in their "reports" forthcoming). IRS is so pathetically overrated, it would be nearly impossibly to describe. I mean, for the average driver who simply never will experience that ragged edge feeling in the handling department. The general vehicle owner doesn't even know what IRS means, or if their car has it, let alone whether or not it's helpful. For most people, it's never really going to be helpful, at least in even the slightest meaningful way. It will always be more expensive, however.
Wrong. The first thing I noticed when switching over from live axle car like Mustangs and Camaro's to GTO's and Corvettes, is that the ride quality was greatly improved and they just handled better in every situation. IRS cars feel more planted. Even from a dead stop they tend to get better traction on street radials than live axle vehicles. The only advantages live axle cars have is they can be cheaper and launching at the drag strip on slicks/drag radials. IRS will benefit the driver in 99.5% of their driving experience. I don't know about you but I drive my car every day, but I only go to the drag strip about once a month if that. I can tell you for fact a vast majority of drivers go to the drag strip a lot less than I do.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I'm with ya Leo......I don't know why some people are so hard headed about IrS.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

IRS > Solid any day. people who say other wise, are running 9s or faster or just ignorant.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LEO
Wrong. The first thing I noticed when switching over from live axle car like Mustangs and Camaro's to GTO's and Corvettes, is that the ride quality was greatly improved and they just handled better in every situation. IRS cars feel more planted. Even from a dead stop they tend to get better traction on street radials than live axle vehicles. The only advantages live axle cars have is they can be cheaper and launching at the drag strip on slicks/drag radials. IRS will benefit the driver in 99.5% of their driving experience. I don't know about you but I drive my car every day, but I only go to the drag strip about once a month if that. I can tell you for fact a vast majority of drivers go to the drag strip a lot less than I do.
1st you tell me I'm wrong, then you go out of your way to explain why YOU are! I don't get it with you guys... This isn't about YOUR opinions!

I have had an IRS vehicle since 2006 and I still don't see the big deal. If IRS was so much better, it would've been used on essentially every car for the past 50 years. That's not been the case, for reason. It's expensive by comparison, it's not notably nicer to anyone who doesn't think it is(I promise my old 2004 Grand Marquis rides smoother and more comfortably than your GTO or Corvette) and most people still don't know what IRS stands for, let alone what it actually IS!

If IRS is so great in every situation, why can the current Mustang out-handle nearly every 4-wheeled vehicle ever created, INCLUDING the aforementioned GTO(in any variant ever offered) and the 2010-2013 Camaro, prior to ZL1, with its lowly solid axle? Again, it's NOT about opinion! It's about known fact. Fact is, solid rear can indeed be, not only quite useful, but quite successful as well. Which of you absolute geniuses can explain away that TRUTH AND REALITY???

The ONLY times IRS has proven better at all, is when driving limits are factored or when running through something like a pot hole. Most people never come close to the limits.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's expensive by comparison, it's not notably nicer to anyone who doesn't think it is(I promise my old 2004 Grand Marquis rides smoother and more comfortably than your GTO or Corvette)
Seriously? Are you serious right now? Really?
You are comparing the ride of two performance oriented cars (one being a sports car, the other being a GT) to a large, heavy, softly sprung luxury/grandma car?
Why don't you compare how a BMW 7 series rides to a fox body mustang? Thats valid too right?
Want to compare apples to apples?

and most people still don't know what IRS stands for, let alone what it actually IS!
Most people don't know what HP or torque is, and how they function, yet the Mustang has been increasing hp/tq for each model year, should they stop improving that?

If IRS is so great in every situation, why can the current Mustang out-handle nearly every 4-wheeled vehicle ever created, INCLUDING the aforementioned GTO(in any variant ever offered) and the 2010-2013 Camaro, prior to ZL1, with its lowly solid axle? Again, it's NOT about opinion!
Same kind of argument, why cant the new mustang touch a Corvette then if the SRA is as good as IRS?
Apples to oranges dude...
Which handled better and rode better, an 03 Mustang Cobra or an 03 Mustang GT?

It's about known fact. Fact is, solid rear can indeed be, not only quite useful, but quite successful as well. Which of you absolute geniuses can explain away that TRUTH AND REALITY???
I don't think anyone is denying that a properly setup LRA car can handle or ride quite well, but apples to apples a proper IRS is superior for handling, ride and feel, thats a fact.

The ONLY times IRS has proven better at all, is when driving limits are factored or when running through something like a pot hole. Most people never come close to the limits.
Most people never drag race their cars, therefore all cars should come with 50hp 3 cylinders.
Most people never use their brakes to their fullest, so we should all switch back to drums on all four corners.
Get real, we a talking about a purpose built performance car, whether or not "most people" don't use it to its fullest is completely and totally irrelevant. What is relevant is Ford is bettering the car and keeping up with the competition.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Every great sports car in at least the past 20+ years has an IRS: Viper, Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, Lamborghini, GT-R and Koenigsegg. Try listing the great solid axle cars: Mustang, 2002 and older F-bodies and Grand Nationals - not exactly on the same level. Modern IRS cars are running in the 7's and 8's. Not very many people running faster than that.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

The only arguments you can make for SRA is weight savings and drag racing. The weight savings concerns me on this new Mustang seeing as a solid axle swap on a 03/04 Cobra was good for around 200lbs in shaved weight. But if they can make it a 3300lb car with IRS everyone wins. Honestly there is no reason they shouldn't be able to hit that mark. There are a lot of sports cars out there right now that are making even the lightest new muscle car look like a fat pig!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

IRS over SRA anyday
Old 06-07-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LEO
Every great sports car in at least the past 20+ years has an IRS: Viper, Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, Lamborghini, GT-R and Koenigsegg. Try listing the great solid axle cars: Mustang, 2002 and older F-bodies and Grand Nationals - not exactly on the same level. Modern IRS cars are running in the 7's and 8's. Not very many people running faster than that.
So since many cars NOT in Mustang class(it's NOT a sports car) and cars that cost, on average, about $100,000 more have IRS, Ford should slap it underneath their pony car? Awesome argument! Besides, those cars not only ARE sports cars, none of them are built like Mustang for drag racing. Those are road race and "HELLO, IT'S ME!" cars... Except Corvette, which I like best anyway.

Who's running 7's with IRS? An AWD $400,000 before 50k in modifications, Lamborghini? It's not about what's possible, really. It's about what's plausible. The Mustang isn't supposed to be a high end sports car with the greatest everything. It's a car meant for the masses, like Camaro. Either could sell better if they were still cheap and reliable with decent power and handling characteristics.

Look, I'm not saying there's something wrong with IRS or that cars shouldn't have it, including the Mustang. I'm saying it's ENTIRELY overrated, generally by people who truly have no idea when or where the benefits really do show themselves, like yourself. You have your opinion and that's fine with me, but you seem to refuse to simply state the facts as opposed to your opinion. IRS is ONLY best in some circumstances. Any set up has its good and bad points, including IRS. For IRS, the problems are fairly simple: It's overly expensive, overly heavy, has too many pieces, is harder for most people to repair or replace and doesn't actually produce much in the way of benefits to the vehicle or driver. Plus, it also has a tendency to break more easily under duress than a good SLA(which costs hundreds or thousands less). It's best when the driving limits are being reached, as it has higher limits(road course stuff) than SLA. It can't really carry the load an SRA can either.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Here ya go it'll run. 7 sec irs vette. Irs 5th gens have run 8's. Get over the straight axle thing.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

I think there are good points on both sides of the argument here.

Cons:

Cost (replacement parts, plus more pieces)
Weight
Not a huge handling advantage

Pros:
Better feel over uneven surfaces (95% or more of everyday driving is on uneven paved roads - especially in Canada where winter kills our roads and highways).
Better handling at the limit.
A "step" forward. Must compete in it's class where both of the other domestics already run IRS - magazine writers rejoice, lol!

I doubt the new Stang will weigh in at 3300lbs w/IRS. Don't they weight 3500 already?

Last edited by NW-99SS; 06-07-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Here ya go it'll run. 7 sec irs vette. Irs 5th gens have run 8's. Get over the straight axle thing.
We can always count on you to fail to understand things... like sarcasm. I truly wish you weren't a blithering idiot. Alas, stupid cannot be fixed.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:30 AM
10 Second Club

We can always count on you to fail to understand things... like sarcasm. I truly wish you weren't a blithering idiot. Alas, stupid cannot be fixed.

You always show your superior intelligence in your posts.

How's that for some sarcasm?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Which handled better and rode better, an 03 Mustang Cobra or an 03 Mustang GT?
The IRS in that car was a cobbled together POS that was downright awful. Looks like it was designed as a project by some Wyotech kids.

All the IRS will do in the next Mustang is add cost and weight.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
You always show your superior intelligence in your posts.

How's that for some sarcasm?
Not very good. Of course, since you're known as a dunce in general around here, and have been for 10yrs or so, I'm not surprised. It's not that I have superior intelligence in general. It's that you're so friggin' stupid, you make me look the part of a genius. It must really suck to be tiny AND stupid all in the same package.

I digress... you're not entirely stupid. You just have so much "GM IS THE GREATEST AND EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE PLANET SUCKS *** FOREVER" that you come off as that much of an idiot. One day you'll wake up and realize that, for example, nearly any 10yr old or newer car is plenty better than your old Camaro. When that happens, you'll be a better person. Good luck with that being prior to your 40th birthday.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Not very good. Of course, since you're known as a dunce in general around here, and have been for 10yrs or so, I'm not surprised. It's not that I have superior intelligence in general. It's that you're so friggin' stupid, you make me look the part of a genius. It must really suck to be tiny AND stupid all in the same package.

I digress... you're not entirely stupid. You just have so much "GM IS THE GREATEST AND EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE PLANET SUCKS *** FOREVER" that you come off as that much of an idiot. One day you'll wake up and realize that, for example, nearly any 10yr old or newer car is plenty better than your old Camaro. When that happens, you'll be a better person. Good luck with that being prior to your 40th birthday.
Where do you come up with this ****?? Are you so worthless to even yourself that you have to make up **** about others and insult them? Here I'll make you look even more stupid by posting a few pics of my Mustang.

Got to get her cleaned up a bit now.

By the way I'm 41....so if you looked at my profile to try to figure out my age you just proved your math skills are not what they should be.

Are you done looking like a retard?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't look at your profile to try a thing... I haven't looked at it in a very long time and I have trouble believing you're 41... Seems as if you've missed out on a large amount of education, but then... Where you're from....

Yeah, I know you bought a Mustang... Can't beg borrow or steal a way to beat 'em, may as well join 'em... Whatever. The real question will come in when you find out of it actually runs like it should. My bet is, it won't until you get a serious builder involved.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang (s550) shots