Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150k mile 4l60 and ls6. Bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 150k mile 4l60 and ls6. Bad idea?

I will be putting an ls6 in front of my 150k mile 4l60 in a few months. I plan to be easy on it during break in, and its primarily for street use, but it will see some abuse. This is in a regular cab short bed silverado. I'm guessing it will need some upgrading. What upgrades and who do you guys suggest?

Anyone good companies in Florida?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find someone good local or just splurge and go with rpm transmissions. They have the fastest 4l60 ls car
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Considering the cost/effort of installing/removing a tranny, re-installing a 150K tranny sounds like a bad idea to me. And behind a high performance engine a worse idea. Keep in mind that if you "blow" the tranny, you may have to replace (or at least open/clean) the converter and replace the trans cooler. AND of course buy a newer tranny.

At a minimum tell us the year and type of car the tranny is from.

If the engine will remain stock (400HP?) you could have a local builder rebuild it for you. At a minimum, insist on a new-style sun shell, new BW sprag, .500 boost valve and a 7 friction 3-4 clutch. (A 4L65E rebuild kit can be used and will have the 7 friction clutch).

If you are going to hot rod the engine, you really should consider a performance unit from one of our sponsors - FLT (Illinois), RPM (Indiana), Perforabuilt (Pennsylvania) and Jake Performance (Texas).
Old 06-06-2013, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Find somebody local who knows his way around a 4L60E and will build yours with parts that you supply. Then have one of us put together a parts package for you with everything that you're going to need to build a solid transmission and insist that he use them.

Not all guys will do this, though, because they want to sell you parts as well as their time. I do it occasionally for guys who want to run a particular company's package. The Dodge guys are big on this kind of thing. They'll buy an ATS or a Goerend (or whoever) build kit and bring it to me to build the transmission. As long as they're quality parts and a decent setup, I don't mind because I don't put much mark up on most of my parts anyway. I prefer to sell my time and experience.

Quick Reply: 150k mile 4l60 and ls6. Bad idea?