Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a used stall?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a used stall?

I have priced a number of new stalls through Yank, CircleD, Vig and they're all near $800+shipping+tax. I have also read through a number of stall topics and have repeatedly read you get what you pay for. That leads me to my questions:

Last week I saw a used Vig4000 stall on the parts classifieds for half of that price. Would you guys ever consider buying a used quality brand stall? If so, what questions would you ask, what pictures would you want to see, and are there any automatic deal-breakers when considering a used stall?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing to note is that Vig's stall higher than rated usually so if you get one be aware of that, it's usually not a big deal but that 4000 may be more like 4400.

Would I consider buying a used stall? Probably not, but if you do you SHOULD (and by that I mean just shy of NEED) to send it back to the factory or to a torque converter shop to get it cut open, inspected, cleaned, and put back together. That costs a couple hundred dollars, lowest I ever saw was $125 or $150 from a generic transmission shop, Probably for a manufacturer to refresh one (which I would recommend) like $200-$300 would be my guess.

You don't talk about what your application will be...those $800+ quotes you mentioned are for single disk billet lockup converters. Above that are $1000+ for triple disk billet lockup, but most if not all companies maker cheaper nonbillet lockup converters too. If you're not throwing anything major at the ground then a nonbillet may be ok. They're like $350-$500 new.

Automatic deal breaker? Brand. If you see Fuddle or TCI, run.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I cant remember when I purchased a new converter. I have a used BTE now, also a used UCC sitting on the shelf. The things can be just as messed up in new condition as used depending where you get it. Depending on where you get it whos to know if the new employee helped put it together that day?

If you know its an actuall good brand converter I would buy a used one in a heartbeat. Factor in the cost of sending it in and having them cut it open and go through it though. If that comes in costing less than a new one then yes. With a new one unless you have one custom made or they sell you one for your exact app, the stall on them advertised could vary....its all determined by the TQ your engine makes anyway so matching the advertised stall is rare. If you send in a used converter to have them go through, they can at least set it up to how you want it.... its almost like getting a custom one made but at a fraction of the cost.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I would definitely ask why the converter was for sale. If there was any mention of a previous transmission problem, I would stay away. The concern here is that the converter is full of metal from a broken trans. If it was "the stall was too high/low and I only used it for 3 months", then I would consider it.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO consensus on appropriate stall speed, even for a bone-stock car, but IMO, 4000-4400 is way too high for a stock cam. I would suggest calling CircleD to discuss their $500 non-billet converter and getting a modest 2800-3200 stall. You will then get a very good converter with no surprises, low chance of problems, no fuss, no drama.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used convertors can be risky unless you know the people selling and it came out of a running driving non trans tore the heck up car. If trans flys apart like the guys above said ===that crap/metal will be in the converter and it will have to be cut apart and cleaned which costs $. Depends on your plans but stock or built motor will love a 3600-3800 CircleD. The 3200 is nice and will pick it up but it is tight and after a week of driving you wont know its in the car. Im speaking from experience not from what Ive read. I think CircleDs 3200 is good to 500hp but if your going to build it in the future and spray it get a billet 3600-4000. You will love it.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a used stall?