Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

denmah's lunch and learn, the difference with megasquirt systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Default denmah's lunch and learn, the difference with megasquirt systems

i had alot of questions, and it is hard to keep track of these boxes unless you are using them

hopefully you learn something you didnt know before the video haha
Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome explanation of the three different systems. One question and you might have already mentioned this but I didn't notice a com port on the micro squirt. Do you still use tuner studios to up load and mess with tunes?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

this guy is awesome, knows so much and has no reservations of sharing. You're what makes our community better. thanks!!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

^^^^ what this guy said ^^^^^
Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Launching!

thats awsome and thanks for taking the time,
Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

do a video on how you tune a LS on a microsquirt~~
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

saw that vid this morn before going to work. popped up on my youtube screen since i subscribe.
i would like to see more in detail/info the 24x LS Microsquirt v2.
this is what im going to use on my pd blower build.
rather not use ms1/msd box.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Good overview.

Having built about 30 - 40 units for BMWs, I have a few suggestions. Don't bother with an MSD box. You can run 4 spark outputs (wasted spark) and trigger LS1 coils directly from the LED outputs of MS 3.0/3.57 boards and then you've got full, direct control over ignition (launch control, anti lag, basic traction control, etc.). The convenient thing is LS coils are smart so you only need a logic level signal to run them so the electrical noise is outside of the MS housing and you don't need the VB921 drivers (BIP373s these days?) to run dumb coils.

The new MS 3 Pro is pretty hot though. Matt Cramer and Jerry over at DIY Autotune are great to deal with and the MS3 Pro is pretty capable in the world of ECUs. You guys should all look into VEMS as well.

The biggest issue I've had with MS1/MS2 boxes (I ran an MS1 MSnS-E and then MS2 MSnS-E setup for about 30k miles) is that stupid DB37 connector. The computer connectors in an automotive environment is lame. Further, the MS 3.0/3.57 (forget MS 2.2 at this point) are suuuuuper suseptible to electronic noise. You REALLY need to wire things properly and even then the ground planes and general noise tolerance in the MS 3.0/3.57 boards is lacking.

Btw Grippo's first name is Al.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by starbucks
Awesome explanation of the three different systems. One question and you might have already mentioned this but I didn't notice a com port on the micro squirt. Do you still use tuner studios to up load and mess with tunes?
it has a 3.5mm headphone jack that goes 9pin com port, sorry i didnt show that.

Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5
Good overview.

Having built about 30 - 40 units for BMWs, I have a few suggestions. Don't bother with an MSD box. You can run 4 spark outputs (wasted spark) and trigger LS1 coils directly from the LED outputs of MS 3.0/3.57 boards and then you've got full, direct control over ignition (launch control, anti lag, basic traction control, etc.). The convenient thing is LS coils are smart so you only need a logic level signal to run them so the electrical noise is outside of the MS housing and you don't need the VB921 drivers (BIP373s these days?) to run dumb coils.

The new MS 3 Pro is pretty hot though. Matt Cramer and Jerry over at DIY Autotune are great to deal with and the MS3 Pro is pretty capable in the world of ECUs. You guys should all look into VEMS as well.

The biggest issue I've had with MS1/MS2 boxes (I ran an MS1 MSnS-E and then MS2 MSnS-E setup for about 30k miles) is that stupid DB37 connector. The computer connectors in an automotive environment is lame. Further, the MS 3.0/3.57 (forget MS 2.2 at this point) are suuuuuper suseptible to electronic noise. You REALLY need to wire things properly and even then the ground planes and general noise tolerance in the MS 3.0/3.57 boards is lacking.

Btw Grippo's first name is Al.
awesome!
i know this is why they concentrated on splitting the inputs and outputs to nearly two separate boards on the ms3 pro versions
Old 06-07-2013, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to put this together! Any idea how the auto learn on the ms3 (pro??) compares to the holley dominator? Seems like the holley is damn near a no-brainer with the auto tune feature, is this comparable? Is a guy with little or no tuning knowledge just better off with the holley?

Oh, and whats this new project car you speak of?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM

ms3 can do auto tune, you connect the laptop and enable the settings and it will adjust the fuel map, but the laptop has to be connected to it.

once your fuel map is good, you can enable closed loop O2 feedback or EGO as they call it.

it will look off an AFR table and shoot for that commanded AFR pulling a set amount o fuel % you specify.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by boostnut

Oh, and whats this new project car you speak of?
picking it up tomorrow, then i will show you guys haha
Old 06-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Awsome video
Old 06-07-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by denmah
ms3 can do auto tune, you connect the laptop and enable the settings and it will adjust the fuel map, but the laptop has to be connected to it.

once your fuel map is good, you can enable closed loop O2 feedback or EGO as they call it.

it will look off an AFR table and shoot for that commanded AFR pulling a set amount o fuel % you specify.
Good to know, dipshits like me need all the help we can get.

Have you used this feature and if so, what are your thoughts? Holley guys rave about how well their product self tunes, you think this is in the same league?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 PM

i have not used the holley but i use autotune (insert tpain jokes) on all the cars i have built and tuned, i find its easiest to get it into the 11.0 range manually in boost and then let autotune clean up the driving and other things

it works great.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by boostnut
Good to know, dipshits like me need all the help we can get.

Have you used this feature and if so, what are your thoughts? Holley guys rave about how well their product self tunes, you think this is in the same league?
Im one of the biggest dipshits out there and I can say autotune works really good on my microsquirt. But its still a good idea to really learn how to tune on your own outside of autotune.

If your lacking in knowledge on tuning EFI systems (like I was) I highly recommend "Performance Fuel Injection Systems" book by Matt Cramer & Jerry Hoffman. Between that book, this forum and it great members, and the LS start up tunes that are available almost anyone can build a Micro/Megasuirt system and tune a EFI LS engine.

Although Im getting decent at tuning my engine I would really like to see a video on how someone else (like matt-hint~hint) does there tuning.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow great info. If I ever do a swap with a manual trans I'm going with the micro.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

I have a question for you as far as using megasquirt vs hp tuners which would u prefer to use for tuning..im sure each has its likes and dislikes but when it comes down to it which would you pick
Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 PM

i like tuning with megasquirt better, just because its a minimalist interface and less features.

stock computer cars literally have thousands of tables inside that you have to **** with at times to get what you want out of a vehicle.

that said i like them both alot, we will see how much i like the MS3 gold and trans controller combo together when its all said and done. that will really be neat.

Last edited by denmah; 06-19-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denmah
i like tuning with hptuners better, just because its a minimalist interface and less features.

stock computer cars literally have thousands of tables inside that you have to **** with at times to get what you want out of a vehicle.

that said i like them both alot, we will see how much i like the MS3 gold and trans controller combo together when its all said and done. that will really be neat.
I think you meant Megasquirt is more minimalist......

Quick Reply: denmah's lunch and learn, the difference with megasquirt systems