Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A Cautionary Tale about Precision Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A Cautionary Tale about Precision Turbo

So I have my little mild 8 second 3,500 lb Trans Am. I run it on 17-18 lbs of boost it makes 950 rwhp. Nothing is pushed to the limit and I built the car to provide worry free bullet proof service to myself with everything onboard to push it much harder and faster if I so chose.

Back in May 2011 I finished the car and made a few 1/8th mile passes with her and the first time out she ran 5.8s with the PT101. It performed admirably. Fast forward to a few months later and I take the car to its third outing. The turbo struggles to spool and the car smokes white all of a sudden. This is at around 12 passes and no street miles. The Turbo is sent back to precision turbo who I ordered my turbo and oil line fittings and such from. I was told that the turbo was starved for oil and required a new CHRA and would be repaired for $1800 after a month or so of back and fourth they agree to "warranty" it since they sold me the -4 fitting and oil plate to use on that turbo before telling me -4 feed is entirely insufficient. I run new -6 line to the turbo and install it to find out immediately is is gushing oil into the turbine section, and will not spool again. I'm so frustrated I decide to circumvent Precision turbo and I remove and disassemble the Turbo to find a scorched Thrust bearing, and a cracked journal bearing. I take the parts to a highly regarded turbo builder in my area who Ive heard nothing but good things about from both the local racers, and even Garrett Turbo.

The after a few days of inspection I was told initially it looked like oil starvation since a lot of parts had blued pretty badly but upon further inspection and a balance attempt on the turbine shaft the tech/owner of the shop said he had never seen a shaft so far out of balance without being bent, however mine was not bent. And the wear pattern on the shaft also indicated an extreme imbalance issue was the true cause of failure. He also said the Turbine was a garret design, turned down on a lathe on the cold side to accept the 101 wheel with a bushing in it for some reason, and that it was actually a Chinese rip-off of the real garret shaft.

PTE still refuses to sell parts to anyone.

So anyone looking to spend their hard earned money on a company that from my experience sells junk, claims to have a warranty however will always blame you for their Chinese crap failures, and is the ONLY people that can service "their" turbos by all means buy a precision!

I have since bought a Billet y2k 88 from turbonetics, and since, had an oops with it.. This time its entirely my fault. The turbo was one month old and suffered some FOD damage after a nut had found its way into the hot pipes while the car was apart and stuck there all through reassembly undetected. Upon start up it fodded the turbine. I asked Turbonetics to quote me a new shaft since this was completely my fault. They told me don't worry, send it back and well fix it and send it back to you. No charge!!! That was entirely unexpected! I praise Turbonetics for this and from now on I will always recommend them and inform others to stay clear of precision.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

sucks man, everything seems to be china crap anymore. I'm installing a "turbo kit" from a board vendor on a friends car.. he brought everything over in a xs power box. first thing I said was... ****, this is going to be a pita.. i have had to chase every thread in the hot pipes..and the down pipe...lol what a joke. I told my buddy, " this is not a kit, this these are parts to get you started"

you buy something, only to get overpriced china ****. the worst part is the people selling this junk know its junk and laugh all the way to the bank..

this isn't the first time I've heard this about pte turbos.. do your reaserch people..

gl op..
Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prepare to be blasted lol
Old 06-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Precisions have had a bad wrap for a long time, go search on yellowbullet there are threads devoted to such topics. Their turbine housings are also not designed to contain failures like O.E. housings from garrett and borwarner.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There has been alot of top notch companies getting bashed on at the moment due to their products now being China made. I have always trusted Precision's turbos looks like I gotta be a little more carefull.

But im glad Turbonetics took care of the issue for free man! Very proffesional.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

wow.... i never heard of this or any problem with pte turbos, a friend of mine has had 2 different turbos from them and all have good so far. that's fucked up though what they did to you. thanks for the heads up tho.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Not surpised ive seen the other threads on here and yellow bullet. It sucks cause they are a some what local company to me. It seems like its always the same oiling issue... good luck guys
Old 06-09-2013, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Seems like Precision has been rough lately. Turbonetics doesnt get the credit it deserves IMO.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28boysteve
I have since bought a Billet y2k 88 from turbonetics, and since, had an oops with it.. This time its entirely my fault. The turbo was one month old and suffered some FOD damage after a nut had found its way into the hot pipes while the car was apart and stuck there all through reassembly undetected. Upon start up it fodded the turbine. I asked Turbonetics to quote me a new shaft since this was completely my fault. They told me don't worry, send it back and well fix it and send it back to you. No charge!!! That was entirely unexpected! I praise Turbonetics for this and from now on I will always recommend them and inform others to stay clear of precision.
Pretty sweet that Turbonetics stood behind their product even when it was user error!

Originally Posted by needaz28
sucks man, everything seems to be china crap anymore. I'm installing a "turbo kit" from a board vendor on a friends car.. he brought everything over in a xs power box. first thing I said was... ****, this is going to be a pita.. i have had to chase every thread in the hot pipes..and the down pipe...lol what a joke. I told my buddy, " this is not a kit, this these are parts to get you started"

you buy something, only to get overpriced china ****. the worst part is the people selling this junk know its junk and laugh all the way to the bank..

this isn't the first time I've heard this about pte turbos.. do your reaserch people..

gl op..
I have this "turbo kit" you speak of and theres only 6 threads on the hotside, 4 on the T4 flange and 2 on the wastegate which I had a V-band welded on. Down pipe is a V-band connection. I've never "had to chase every thread in the hot pipes", nor have I ever heard of this problem.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 PM
9 Second Club

WOW! This sucks to hear.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been hearing a lot of problems with the larger precision turbos. I have two 6262 billets so hopefully they don't crap out on me. My old 7675 was very reliable and was still as tight when i took it off as the day i got it.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If precision wanted to be the stand up company they think they are they would at least be willing to sell parts. Instead their answer is always new chra. I bet the chras are completely made in china and they themselves just bolt on compressor wheels and housings and call it precision. Therefore they cant get parts either without parting a chra. They used to use garret stuff until garret cut them off because they blamed the failed modified garret parts on the manufacturer.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbonetics is chinese.. might as well just buy the no-name and save $$
The following users liked this post:
Woodylyf767 (10-01-2022)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so did PTE say it needed 6an? just wondering cause I was planning using 4an that came on the 91.5 I have.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM
9 Second Club

Buy Borg Warner.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Custom Garret's from Jose @ forced inductions for life!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
Pretty sweet that Turbonetics stood behind their product even when it was user error!

I have this "turbo kit" you speak of and theres only 6 threads on the hotside, 4 on the T4 flange and 2 on the wastegate which I had a V-band welded on. Down pipe is a V-band connection. I've never "had to chase every thread in the hot pipes", nor have I ever heard of this problem.
guess you got one from a "good" batch.. I had to chase 8 holes as the ones on the xs power wastegate were under size aswell..

the down pipe was off by a good 3" from matching up too the v band on the turbine.. i build all of my own stuff, which is probally why my air force buddy paid me to make it work.

i'm just saying just like any other crap from china, its a roll of the dice...
Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1RAY

X2 I got this kit too and had no real problems. Only thing was my
DP was Just 1inch to long. Called them up and had another one there 2days later plus threw me a shipping and some free stuff for it.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you have $14,000 tied up in a motor you try not to buy a Chinese turbo thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy crap man. Thats another horror story about precision. Glad i stayed clear.

Quick Reply: A Cautionary Tale about Precision Turbo