General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Raiator Fan/ Temp Gauge

Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Raiator Fan/ Temp Gauge

So I was driving last night casually, and when I got to my destination about 20 miles or so, I noticed my radiator fans kicked on, No ac used at all, and the temp gauge went slightly past 210. This was odd to me as this never happened before. When I left late at night to go home, the temp gauge was back at its normal level, fans didn't kick in at all on the drive home. Should I be concerned? What are some things I should check as I am unfamiliar with cooling systems, most of my maintenance has been regular usual stuff. Any suggestions/comments greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,464 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Were the fans running at low speed or high speed? Low speed operation without the A/C running is very common during warm/hot weather in certain driving conditions (traffic, low speed cruising, idling, etc.)

Since the stock gauge is mostly junk (will read right around "210" for any actual temp between about ~190-230°F), you'd really need a scanner to know what the actual coolant temps were.

With the A/C off, low speed fans engage at 227° and shut down at 217° (with stock tuning). High speed does not cut on until 235°. So depending on which speed they were running at, those settings should give you some indication of engine temp at the time.

It's entirely possibile for a stock LS1 with stock fan tuning to reach 227°F while idling at stop lights, creeping through traffic, or even slow speed cruising in hot conditions. So I would not necessarily be alarmed by what you experienced last night, unless none of those conditions were present.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I do live in Florida it was hot during the day but at night it kinda cooled off, I'll see what happens today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raiator Fan/ Temp Gauge