Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans out - replace engine main or trans input seal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Trans out - replace engine main or trans input seal?

I've got the trans out of the car for a complete clutch system swap. While it's out, should I consider changing the trans input seal or engine rear main seal? Neither is dripping even a drop. 2000 LS1, 70k miles on it.

I do plan on changing the rear trans seal as I've been told yanking the driveshaft could lead to leaks down the road, and it's easy enough to do.

I'm kind of thinking on the trans & main seals to leave them alone. On the other hand, it may be worth it to do them now while everything is apart.

Opinions?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
I've got the trans out of the car for a complete clutch system swap. While it's out, should I consider changing the trans input seal or engine rear main seal? Neither is dripping even a drop. 2000 LS1, 70k miles on it.

Opinions?
FWIW I just did a twin disc clutch install....rear main seal look spotless so I did not touch it. maybe 25k miles on it with this motor.

while checking under the car yesterday I noticed a few drops of oil where the rear main is.....so I will be droping the tranny/clutch/FW and replacing the RMS

I bought the Kent Moore RMS install tool on ebay. Have used it before. removing and instaling the seal takes a few minutes....of course after hours of droping the trans/clutch....hindsight is always 20/20

ironic, I have put a few clutches in and RMS was always dry...just this time it puked right after clutch swap this time. It is not leaking from rear intake manifold....and I don't want to kill my exploding walled $1200 clutch with oil

I have a LT1, assume the LS RMS R&R is similar
Attached Thumbnails Trans out - replace engine main or trans input seal?-clutch-inst-2-pilot.jpg  

Quick Reply: Trans out - replace engine main or trans input seal?