General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Compressor not kicking on....and its hot out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Compressor not kicking on....and its hot out!!!

I'm having issues with my A/C Compressor. Its not kicking on and spinning like it should. It hasnt been hooked up for around a year or so while my car was down and the motor was being built. not sure if that has something to do with it or not....any ways to give the a/c compressor a little kickstart to get it running again?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there freon in the system?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Is the clutch engaging for like a couple seconds and then kicking off constantly? Had the same problem on my S10 that sat for a year +. Used an all-in-one canned recharge kit and it's going fine now. There is a pressure switch that won't let it engage if charge is too low.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if his system has been opened up for that year.......might need some new parts if it was.

Usmc.........did you have it vacuumed down and recharged....?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

I have a similar problem with my Trans Am, we put it on the vaccum and tried to charge it but the clutch would never kick on. Any ideas?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Launching!

You can find the pressure switch and jumper the plug to get it to run the compressor with a charge can hooked up. Mine had enough pressure to kick on a few seconds at a time and as it took charge it started to continually stay on. Don't want to run it for long with the switch jumpered if it's not charged though.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The F-bodies do not have a pressure switch you can jump. It has a pressure switch but is monitored by the pcm and determines pressure based off of the amount of voltage coming back from the switch on the reference wire. It works like a TPS sensor. If you jump it out you will cook the pcm.

Take it to a shop and get the ac checked.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i tried putting in 2 cans of freon, but nothing happened.

i'm not sure what part is the "clutch" that you all are refering to. if its the front of the compressor, then no, that part is not spinning. idk what the "pressure switch" is either

LS6427 - not sure what you mean by if it was opened up for a year, but no, i have not had it vacuumed down

i wasnt aware the the A/C system was so difficult to understand!!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSellers
You can find the pressure switch and jumper the plug to get it to run the compressor with a charge can hooked up. Mine had enough pressure to kick on a few seconds at a time and as it took charge it started to continually stay on. Don't want to run it for long with the switch jumpered if it's not charged though.
We added two cans of freon to it but the compressor would never kick on.

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
The F-bodies do not have a pressure switch you can jump. It has a pressure switch but is monitored by the pcm and determines pressure based off of the amount of voltage coming back from the switch on the reference wire. It works like a TPS sensor. If you jump it out you will cook the pcm.

Take it to a shop and get the ac checked.
Thanks! I agree and think I just need to take to someone that know what they are doing.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC5811
i wasnt aware the the A/C system was so difficult to understand!!
it's not difficult but understand that it is a closed system containing r134a refrigerant. fyi when people say freon it's a slang term where they mean refrigerant, the word freon is the dupont trade name to r12 refrigerant which is no longer used.
because it's a closed system you need to have only refrigerant (r134a) and lubricating oil in there and nothing else no air, and no moisture/water not even a tiny bit. The f-body ac system at least my 2002 camaro holds 1.5 lbs of r134a, it is measured by weight. for the ac to work as designed you need to have the correct amount of r134a in there to +/- 2 or 3 ounces along with the correct amount of lubricating oil which is PAG oil.
now if your ac system has a leak or you undo a line or break something then your refrigerant will escape. without the ac running and everything cold or at ambient temperature the AC system pressure will be around 80-100 psi and you can easily measure this with a gauge set. I don't know specifically your ac system but most if not all will either turn off the compressor or not allow it to even start if pressure is too low. generally when the AC compressor does run, high side pressure runs around 200+ psi and your low side pressure runs around 40 psi. if low side pressure falls to 25 psi or lower while running a pressure switch senses this and turns off the compressor to protect it because of not enough refrigerant (and possibly oil) in the system... or there's another problem.

If you have or had an ac system leak but the system pressure never went below say 20 psi then it's unlikely air hasn't made it's way into the system and you can just recharge. but if you've lost all pressure, like disconnecting a line and the system was open to the atmosphere then you need a good vacuum pump to evacuate the system to remove all air and moisture before charging with refrigerant- this is the basic jist of it there are better more professional ways to do it right and a little bit more to understand to do it right.
http://www.autoacsystems.com/
http://www.autoactech.com/

Quick Reply: Compressor not kicking on....and its hot out!!!