Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alarm problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm problem

So first off, the car is a '97 camaro z28. Little background: i just replaced the ignition cylinder because every time I had the driver door opened it would beep like the keys were in the ignition, and I couldn't lock the doors with the buttons, only manually. When I replaced it, that was fixed. My key fob doesnt work so I lock the doors by using the buttons on the door. Then when I come back unlock the door using the key and open the doors the alarm goes off every time after like 10 seconds. I tried unplugging the shock sensor back by the amp and that hasn't fixed it. Can anyone give me insight on this???
Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That is perfectly normal and is the way the factory alarm is designed. By default, the alarm arms whenever you lock the car electronically - with the key fob or the power lock switches in the door. If you open the driver's door without using the remote to disarm the alarm first, you have eight seconds to turn the ignition to the RUN position or the alarm will sound. If you open the passenger's door without first disarming the alarm with the remote, the alarm will sound immediately.

You can program the alarm arming and disarming in different ways or you can turn off the alarm completely using the instructions in section 2 of your owner's manual. The instructions are also posted here.

A better solution would be to reprogram your remote(s) to match the car so you can use the alarm as it was designed. The matching instructions are also in section 2 of your owners manual but I've posted them here in case you don't have an owner's manual:

Matching Transmitter(s) To Your Vehicle

Have each transmitter you intend to match ready for the next steps. To match transmitters to your vehicle, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN, then to OFF. This will disarm the content theft-deterrent/alarm system (if equipped).

2. Remove the RADIO fuse. This fuse is located in the main fuse block which is located on the left side of your instrument panel.

3. Turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN three times quickly (within five seconds). The vehicle will respond by locking the doors, unlocking the driver’s door and releasing the hatch. Your transmitter is now ready to match the vehicle. Leave the ignition in RUN.

4. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds. The vehicle will respond as in Step 3.

5. Repeat Step 4 for the remaining transmitters.

6. When you have finished matching all of your transmitters, turn the ignition off and replace the RADIO fuse.

7. Check that all transmitters work by pressing the buttons.

Quick Reply: Alarm problem