Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E D3 transbrake questions

Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E D3 transbrake questions

I just finished rebuilding my first 4L80E and have a couple of questions. I used a late model core, and used Jake's full rebuild kit, D3 transbrake, and manual controller. I am also using a PTC converter. This is all in a mustang behind an LQ4. Fluid is full and verified while warm with engine idling.

After finally getting the wiring for the manual controller and trans brake sorted out successfully (thanks to Jake- he has been very patient with me), I tested the trans with the car on jack stands this morning. I am noticing 2 things now:

1. The engine is idling at ~1000 rpm right now. When I engage the transbrake, the engine all of a sudden loads up and starts to die. If I don't give it any gas, it will sputter out. It's acting like the converter is locking up when I activate the trans brake. I am sending 12V+ to the transbrake solenoid. Any ideas what could be causing that? The brown wire of the manual controller (goes to ground to activate the TCC) is not hooked up right now.

2. When I engage the transbrake in 1st (or any gear) and give it some gas so it doesn't die, it seems like the brake is releasing very slowly. I release the button and 1 or 1.5 seconds later it releases and the tires turn. Is this normal for this trans brake? The only other brake I had was in a powerglide and it was very fast. If not normal, what can I check?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sumner, Wa? Did you get it figured out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L80E D3 transbrake questions