Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help! Asanti 3 piece rims leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Asanti 3 piece rims leaking!

So to add to my many headaches I noticed that my rear tire has been going flat, with all new tires on my car I hoped it wasn't the tire. Took it in, drowned the tire and rim in water and noticed that the rim was leaking air past the silicone. They are 3 piece rims and I have heard of this happening but I am hoping there is a way to fix this problem without me having to send it in to Asanti and wait 3 months to get it back. Any suggestions?????
Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have seen (on a forum so you know its right) people re-silicone them on their own. just get the surfaced cleaned and sanded decently.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Strip the old silicone off, clean the hell out of the mating surfaces and reseal with a silicone/sealant. Dow used to make one called "832"....they still might. Some guys get away with a silicone right from Home Depot....but that would make me nervous.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks. The silicone bead is on the inside of the rim so I would have to just silicone along the seam I guess. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You are going to have to completely disassemble the wheel yourself to fix it right. Not a big deal. The only thing to figure out is the proper torque spec for the rim fasteners. Are they thru-bolt or blind? Asanti should be able to provide that info for you.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
You are going to have to completely disassemble the wheel yourself to fix it right. Not a big deal. The only thing to figure out is the proper torque spec for the rim fasteners. Are they thru-bolt or blind? Asanti should be able to provide that info for you.
From what I remember they are thru bolt.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Bolt torque specs are always determined by the bolt size, and thread pitch. Figure out the size of the fastener and Google the spec for that size bolt.

Quick Reply: Help! Asanti 3 piece rims leaking!