LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New suspension upgrades

I have a 97 Z28 vert completely stock suspension wise. I plan on doing major engine upgrades in the future(383 stroker) but wont happen for another year. What suspension upgrades would be the best just for a sunday driver? Im already going with BMR 1" lowering spring and Koni DA sport shocks. I seen UMI's 3 point SFC..would that be a better then the 2 point they offer just for a daily driver? Also if I drop it 1" is it still worth getting the RCA relocating bracets? would it be worth getting the adjustable control upper and lower control arms and panhard bar? Any help would be awesome!!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default It depends...

Originally Posted by downunderrigger
I have a 97 Z28 vert completely stock suspension wise. What suspension upgrades would be the best just for a Sunday driver? I'm already going with BMR 1" lowering spring and Koni DA sport shocks. I've seen UMI's 3 point SFC's - would that be a better then the 2 point connectors they offer just for a daily driver? Also if I drop it 1" is it still worth getting the RCA relocating bracets? Would it be worth getting the adjustable control upper and lower control arms and panhard bar? Any help would be awesome!
For a Sunday driver you don't NEED to do anything; however (like most of us here) I think you have other plans...

So, think in terms of Cost to Benefit(s); do you want a responsive ride? If yes, the lowest cost (but the most work) is to replace all the rubber bushings with Energy Suspension Poly units and also replace the rag joint.

The LCA relocation brackets are good in reducing wheel hop - airbags (in the rear coil springs) help a lot too!

So, what are your overall goals?
Old 06-16-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot depends on what you want to do with the car- do you want it set up more for drag racing or handling? An adjustable torque arm will allow you to change your pinion angle. Adjustable panhard will let you center the rear end after lowering. Adjustable LCA's let you move where the wheel sits in the wheelwell. No UCA's on the rear of these cars. When I spoke to Strano he said if you want the car set up for drag then get the LCA relocation brackets. If for handling then don't get them.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My opinion would be good shocks/struts, tubular lower arms (adj or not, still way stronger), adj track bar, bigger sway bars, poly bushings everywhere and sub frame connectors.... I couldnt believe the improvement in my car (only T-top) from SFC's, on a vert they should be mandatory imho. After that Strano springs and good (read bigger) tires. I also loved the change in the launch of the car with the lower control arm relocation brackets.

I also agree on the Torque Arm, I still need to get one since Im lowered.

Last edited by 95blackm6; 06-16-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: text
Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 PM

I would really like to get the best of both world to drag strip and handling and ya hard to say if this will just be a sunday driver but more of a weekend warrior!

I'll be changing all bushings anyway because I want to replace the sway bars, LCA's, Panhard bar and install 3 point SFC's.

Is it worth it to get the adjustable LCA's and panhard bar or just get the stiff ones also whats your opion on getting the torque arm?

Money's no object I just want the best set up possible!

Thanks again for the help guys!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The best setup for a car that sees street time is Lcas and phb with a roto joint on one end and poly on the other, the roto allows for articulation but the poly isolates vibrations from the car. I had roto/roto on mine for a year and hated it on the street, but now I have poly/poly non adjustable and hate that I have no articulation so I'm about to change AGAIN. I had double adjustable poly/poly on it before the rotos and under hard turns if get a slight pop as the adjustable center would slightly rotate as the car tried to sway, illustrating how poly/poly stuff binds in turns. Do it once do it right, founders performance has the best prices too.

For torque arms, I had a BMR long style with umi relocation mount that takes the torque arm off the tail of the trans, and it was fine, but long style works best on higher hp cars to keep the nose down on launch, I have a spohn short style now and on the very limited driving I've had it on for so far, it feels crazy under braking because there is ZERO nose dive under braking. Haven't had it at the track to launch yet, but I'm excited as the short style transfers weight to the rear better. Downside is spohn parts have a history of breaking, especially their cheaper torque arm (the one I have) so I'm a little nervous about that.

I also have an ls1 steering rack which eliminates the rag joint and allows more header clearance if you ever do an ls swap, I have a spare ls1 rack too for sale if you are interested.

There are tons of styles of sfcs but I personally like the design of MWC sfcs, although I still have none as I'm a hardtop and it's not really needed as badly on a hardtop vs a t top car.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 06-17-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
For torque arms, I had a BMR long style with umi relocation mount that takes the torque arm off the tail of the trans, and it was fine, but long style works best on higher hp cars to keep the nose down on launch, I have a spohn short style now and on the very limited driving I've had it on for so far, it feels crazy under braking because there is ZERO nose dive under braking. Haven't had it at the track to launch yet, but I'm excited as the short style transfers weight to the rear better. Downside is spohn parts have a history of breaking, especially their cheaper torque arm (the one I have) so I'm a little nervous about that.
You got it a little mixed up here, the long style torque arm is actually not as good for higher power cars that have traction because of the leverage of the longer style torque arms. The length of the torque arm and the mounting point being so far forward towards the front of the car can make them want to pull the front end off the ground. This leverage is the exact same reason your car doesn't nose dive when braking with that short style torque arm you have.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by downunderrigger
I would really like to get the best of both world to drag strip and handling and ya hard to say if this will just be a sunday driver but more of a weekend warrior!

I'll be changing all bushings anyway because I want to replace the sway bars, LCA's, Panhard bar and install 3 point SFC's.

Is it worth it to get the adjustable LCA's and panhard bar or just get the stiff ones also whats your opion on getting the torque arm?

Money's no object I just want the best set up possible!

Thanks again for the help guys!
Unless you are going to be running a larger wheel or tire were you are going to have to have to worry about clearances adjustable lower control arms aren't that important. Definitely get an adjustable panhard bar because it allow you to center up the rear end under the car once the car is lowered. If you have a non-adjustable panhard bar it will push the rear end to the driver's side a little a so were you will have more tire sticking out the driver's side than the passenger side.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
You got it a little mixed up here, the long style torque arm is actually not as good for higher power cars that have traction because of the leverage of the longer style torque arms. The length of the torque arm and the mounting point being so far forward towards the front of the car can make them want to pull the front end off the ground. This leverage is the exact same reason your car doesn't nose dive when braking with that short style torque arm you have.
I was under the impression of having the instant center being moved rearward causes the weight to transfer farther to the rear under acceleration, causing the front end to lift (short style) vs the instant center being farther forward on the long style makes it harder to lift the front end? Either way I didn't have nearly enough power to have any issues and only sold the BMR stuff because I switched to a road racing setup with your springs.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Unless you are going to be running a larger wheel or tire were you are going to have to have to worry about clearances adjustable lower control arms aren't that important. Definitely get an adjustable panhard bar because it allow you to center up the rear end under the car once the car is lowered. If you have a non-adjustable panhard bar it will push the rear end to the driver's side a little a so were you will have more tire sticking out the driver's side than the passenger side.
So whats the main purpose of having adjust LCA's then? From what I understood is it just to properly line your axle up to the wheel well when you lower your car so you have proper traction?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM

So what would you recommend for a car that'll be pushing 400-500hp at the crank? long or short torque arm

Quick Reply: New suspension upgrades