LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Corbeau seat(s) questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corbeau seat(s) questions

Alright so I think I've done enough searching to finally make a thread on this subject, and I am mainly looking for a little clarification as well as some opinions from you guys based on my personal situation.

Reason for new seats: 190k miles on stock cloth seats; they've seen better days. I'm not the type to simply repair something stock on the vehicle if there is an aftermarket upgrade available, so I am now in the market for some aftermarket racing seats.

Relevant information: I'm 6'2" and weigh 195-215 depending on where I'm at relative to peak bulk and peak cut (weightlifting/bodybuilding is my other hobby. This means relatively broad shoulders and wide back, and a waist size that changes throughout the year). I'm a function>form kind of guy (if it's light and comfy but looks like crap, odds are I'll take it over a heavy/uncomfortable but amazing looking seat).

What I want out of a seat (in no particular order):
Seating position as close to the stock seat position as possible. This includes sitting height (clarification 1), relative leg room/position (I like having my legs forward rather than bent at the knee like in most other vehicles), and back angle (adjustable seat is most likely a must from what I've found).
Weight reduction (clarification 2).
Comfort (I can currently do 3-5 hours of cruising in the stock seats without too much trouble from my back or legs; I'd like to still be able to do this as I make 3 hour trips about 1-2 times per month).

Clarification 1: I can't seem to figure out what the sitting height would end up being with the appropriate brackets being used. If I got a pair of Corbeaus and used their F-body specific brackets, will I be sitting higher than stock or essentially in stock sitting position? This is an important point of clarification because my head is already fairly high. Based on my searching the final position ends up being quite high if you modify the stock brackets and try to make them work with almost any seat, but is it that way using the appropriate brackets from the seat producer?

Clarification 2: Assuming I get cloth, non-powered, racing-style seats, will I be shedding a pretty good amount of weight whether I get something like the A4 or something more 'cushy' like the LG1?

Opinion section (everyone's favorite!):
Based on the above information, what seat would you guys suggest for me? Currently I'm leaning toward the A4, but I am not against the CR1, LG1, TRS, GTS2, or Sport Seat if one of them meets my wants better than the A4. My search results showed a lot of people having the LG1. Is there any particular reason for that?

Sorry about the novel-length post, but I've come to find that details and lengthy explanations are the best way to get accurate and relevant information...and it can make things easier for people in the future if they are searching for something specific. I'll go through it after I post and see if anything needs to be altered or broken up to make it easier to read.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have CR1s on their brackets. I can tell you the seat is not going to get higher than stock if you use their brackets. I can drive 20+ straight hours in the car.

Hope this helps. I know I was glad going to these. I went from manual seats to these, so no big weight loss that I can think of.
I've been as heavy as 190ish at 5'11" when I originally got these seats and now down to 175, time to adjust the harness. I have the driver weight reduction mod going on. These have always been more comfortable than the stockers and of course hold a person a lot better. Well I suppose the car lost a few pounds as I completely removed the stock seat belts front and rear, rear seat and seat brackets are gone too, rear seat is just about useless with the roll bar in the car.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I have CR1s on their brackets. I can tell you the seat is not going to get higher than stock if you use their brackets. I can drive 20+ straight hours in the car.

Hope this helps. I know I was glad going to these. I went from manual seats to these, so no big weight loss that I can think of.
Thanks for the speedy reply and answer to clarification #1! I bet it'll hold true for all of their seats, so that's a big help.

I also appreciate the pics; it'll help me decide what color(s) to get!

I've got power driver's side seat which I hear is where most of the weight loss comes from going to a manual mechanism (20+ pounds right there or something?). Don't worry though guys, I will be keeping my stock seats stored and covered for a resto. project or for another owner if they want them if I ever decide to sell (fat chance. lol).

Edit after your edit:

Yeah I'm doing a bit of weight reduction overall right now also! Down about 6 pounds on this cut so far (10 to go!), and have done a bunch of free/easy weight reduction in the car (hatch area is basically bare, rear seat delete/rear belt delete, all audio equipment is gone (can't hear it over my exhaust anyway), some other small stuff. Plan on more though, wanna pull a total of 75 pounds out not including lightweight parts like seats, hood, suspension, etc.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im also looking to replace my leather seats. Do the cr1's help keep you fresh in the heat? I live in the desert and leathers arent ideal for me.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was fortunate enough to find a place nearby to sit in the various Corbeau seats you mentioned. By far, I felt the LG1 was the best fit for me. I'm a bigger guy with broad shoulders a couple inches shorter than you. I didn't like the A4s at all and the CR1s were my second favorite to the LG1s. The LG1s were very supportive in the shoulder area and had nice thigh reliefs in the bottom cushion. They are also very comfortable. I had mine wrapped in taupe leather to match the interior. I went with the wide version and while they are a tight fit, I have no issues with them.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
I was fortunate enough to find a place nearby to sit in the various Corbeau seats you mentioned. By far, I felt the LG1 was the best fit for me. I'm a bigger guy with broad shoulders a couple inches shorter than you. I didn't like the A4s at all and the CR1s were my second favorite to the LG1s. The LG1s were very supportive in the shoulder area and had nice thigh reliefs in the bottom cushion. They are also very comfortable. I had mine wrapped in taupe leather to match the interior. I went with the wide version and while they are a tight fit, I have no issues with them.
Alright cool that's one for the LG1 now. Would you say that after putting them in your sitting position was more or less the same as stock? If so then you'll be confirming the corbeau-bracket-seating-position theory. lol.

Nice interior, btw! I've always felt that roll bars make 'verts look better for some reason. lol
Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by robmnrd
Alright cool that's one for the LG1 now. Would you say that after putting them in your sitting position was more or less the same as stock? If so then you'll be confirming the corbeau-bracket-seating-position theory. lol.

Nice interior, btw! I've always felt that roll bars make 'verts look better for some reason. lol
Thanks. I was iffy on the roll bar/vert look but I've come to like it quite a bit. Seating position is close to stock in my opinion. The Corbeau brackets aren't amazing but they bolted in fine. Fastening the rear nuts on the floor studs are a little tough but once they are started, a ratcheting wrench saves a lot of time. You are doing it by feel so that's the only tricky part.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

i have corbeau forzas in cloth with the fbody specific brackets. seats are great, youll be sitting lower than with the stock seats. bracket mounts without any real drama, but its nice to have a ratcheting wrench. the slider mechanism feels pretty cheap, doesnt always want to lock when you adjust it (both of mine are like this). big fan of the seats overall, but dont know if a guy much bigger than me could get in the back seats (dont think thisll be an issue with one of the reclining seats).
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I was iffy on the roll bar/vert look but I've come to like it quite a bit. Seating position is close to stock in my opinion. The Corbeau brackets aren't amazing but they bolted in fine. Fastening the rear nuts on the floor studs are a little tough but once they are started, a ratcheting wrench saves a lot of time. You are doing it by feel so that's the only tricky part.
Well I (one person, I know. lol) think it looks good man.

Yeah I've heard about those annoying rear nuts but hey, can't be much worse than changing plugs right? lol.

Originally Posted by 94nismoformula
i have corbeau forzas in cloth with the fbody specific brackets. seats are great, youll be sitting lower than with the stock seats. bracket mounts without any real drama, but its nice to have a ratcheting wrench. the slider mechanism feels pretty cheap, doesnt always want to lock when you adjust it (both of mine are like this). big fan of the seats overall, but dont know if a guy much bigger than me could get in the back seats (dont think thisll be an issue with one of the reclining seats).
Yeah that's another benefit/reason for the reclining seat for me, even though nobody will actually be going back there anymore it's still nice to have a lot of room to stick stuff in there (btw for anyone reading, if you remove the rear seats/bucket portion, you get a huuuuge amount of room back there to haul stuff. lol)
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by robmnrd
Well I (one person, I know. lol) think it looks good man.

Yeah I've heard about those annoying rear nuts but hey, can't be much worse than changing plugs
By far its not worse than plugs lol.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Shush.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Shush.
Since they are easy for you, I'm sure you won't mind coming by next season and swapping them for me.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed on the ratchet wrench! Also I got the double locking seat brackets, I can't comment on the single version.

Funny on the "fresh" question, not the first time I've heard it asked. I don't seem to sweat bad at all with these. They are microsuede, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. I don't think they are any hotter than the stock cloth, maybe even a touch cooler.

I know I'm jealous of 2nd gen CTS-V owners. I want air conditioned seats!!!!

Plus when I got mine I couldn't complain about the price. I think I picked them up for $500 or $600, it has been a few years now so I don't quite remember, from a guy who had them in his Procharged fox body. Sold the Mustang brackets.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

See nothing to worry about then! lol

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Agreed on the ratchet wrench! Also I got the double locking seat brackets, I can't comment on the single version.

Funny on the "fresh" question, not the first time I've heard it asked. I don't seem to sweat bad at all with these. They are microsuede, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. I don't think they are any hotter than the stock cloth, maybe even a touch cooler.

I know I'm jealous of 2nd gen CTS-V owners. I want air conditioned seats!!!!

Plus when I got mine I couldn't complain about the price. I think I picked them up for $500 or $600, it has been a few years now so I don't quite remember, from a guy who had them in his Procharged fox body. Sold the Mustang brackets.
Yeah I'm keeping my eye out for some nice used ones right now. I figure if I can save a couple hundred bucks buying lightly used, then why not?

Glad there's only a few days each year it gets above 95 here, otherwise I'd also be worried about the 'freshness'. lol

Quick Reply: Corbeau seat(s) questions