Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What would cause oil to come out of exhaust (STS turbo)

Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default What would cause oil to come out of exhaust (STS turbo)

I have a rear mount STS setup. The left side exhaust is the boost tube. The right side exhaust pipe is for the exhaust off the turbo. I have oil coming out of my exhaust (right) pipe with oil droplets all over the back of my car (bumper, spoiler, etc).

The only real change was putting an oil restrictor inline with the oil feed on top of the turbo.

Any ideas of what could cause this or what i could look for to stop this?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a scavenge pump pumping the oil back to the engine from the turbo?

What is your MAX oil pressure?

with this restrictor, you may not have enough oil going to the turbo and feeding out of it, so that your scavenge pump has oil to pull (if that makes sense).

you do not usually need a restrictor unless you are above 85psi oil pressure for an extended period. what turbo do you have? journal or ball bearing?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you have a check valve above the turbo on the oil feed line?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only the upgraded STS ball bearing turbos need a restrictor. I had this problem in reverse as I run a BB turbo and a restrictor fixed it.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

please qualify the statement about ONLY UPGRADED STS BALL BEARING and restrictors.

The point with ball bearing versus journal bearing is the BB are smoother and move easier, they also don't need much lubrication. Depending on your oil pressure and your feed & return line (with or without a scavenge pump of some sort) can all influence the oil returning to the oil pan and cause such issues.

having a straight with very little bends to the return line helps, having a nicely sized return line helps. Having a scavenge pump that you can count on (turbowerx or mocal) helps. A restrictor from my experience and speaking to turbo manufacturers (garrett, turbonetics) is only necessary if your oil pressure is 85+ and maintains this for extended periods. Also, if problems are still encountered, then a restrictor should help.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you need a check valve in your oil feed line right at the turbo so oil doesn't seep into the exhaust when after shut down.

The need for a restrictor varies from setup to setup.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The oil restrictor we put in is a brass fitting that connects to the check valve on top of the oil feed line on the top of the turbo limiting how much oil gets to my turbo.

My return line was removed (it used to go from the bottom of the turbo, up and over the axle to the STS scavenging pump) and was cut. The return line is now run almost level to the ground "straight" to the oil scavenging pump with my return line ending up in a fitting at the front passenger side of the oil pan (i had welded in a few years ago).

I am now wondering if i need a check valve to be inserted "after" the scavenging pump to reduce oil return to the turbo as the oil line is pretty near level from the oil pan to the turbo.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Here is a pic of the oil line coming off the bottom of the turbo feeding to the scavenging pump:

Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My sts kit did it with the STS turbos without the restrictor installed, i called and was told that anything over 40PSI would damage the seals (which it did). Instead of rebuilding the small stock turbos I put in 62/62 precisions and a restrictor. There are no leaks unless i forget to turn on my scavenge oil pump.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

im wondering about putting a 10 an check valve on the outlet side of the scavenger to help keep oil form seaping back to the turbo. the summit racing check valve has a cracking pressure of 2psi.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Just a thought how new is the turbo? Pressure, and heat work seals pretty hard...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would cause oil to come out of exhaust (STS turbo)