LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sputtering/Hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering/Hesitation?

I bought my 94 Z28 a few weeks ago. It has a lot of goods on it but i'm not going into detail. Here is my problem that I have searched and searched for but cannot find anybody that is having the same problem. It cranks up just fine.. usually revs up to 13-1400 rpms and goes down to idle on start up. When I drive and come to a stoplight or something, then I hit the gas, it hesitates real bad. It is not a spark plug sputter. It is a constant hesitation unless I press the pedal down like halfway the car responds and goes... I feels vacuum related, maybe fuel filter IDK. Also, when I come to a dead stop but DO NOT put the car in park, it almost wants to cut off on me. I have checked vacuum lines, cleaned the butterfly, everything is clean. The car is hardly ever even driven on the streets because it is built for the strip. Does anybody have any recommendations?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Launching!

Have you checked fuel pressure. Prime the system with KOEO and check to see if the pressure bleeds off.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Teching In

I checked the fuel pressure and it is fine. Any other advice?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Anyone? I would love to get back on the road! Healthy and sideways..
Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Bump!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you driven around with the fuel pressure gauge hooked up? With a long enough hose you can tape it on your windshield. That will at least rule out fuel.

This kind of sounds like what my car was doing with a 120,000 mile opti. How many miles do you have? Is it an unvented unit?
Old 06-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Teching In

I am assuming you have headers on your car? If you do, have you checked for a burnt plug wire? I had a problem sort of similar to yours a few times, and I have had burnt plug wires. The best way to check for this is wait till night time and with no light around, start your car and watch for arcing anywhere under the hood. I don't know, just trying to help, and start with the cheap and easy things first
Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Teching In

I haven't tried the fuel pressure gauge thing yet. Rockets, I do have headers with dip down exhaust. I haven't checked the wires yet, but I hope it isn't, I have msd wires and they get pricey. They guy who built they car re-routed the wires. They do not go up top like most LT1's. It has really low mileage on the odometer and MIGHT have 800 on the build. It is a baby
Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 PM

Check your tps, I had one the gave no codes and had dead spots that caused symptoms like yours. Its atleast easy to check with a multmeter, worth a shot.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Ill give it a shot. Won't see the car until August. I put it in storage for the summer because I went out of the state for the summer. Just trying to get some ideas. I have an SLP CAI with 2 small cone filters. There look pretty rough as well. Cant wait to get my hands on it!

Quick Reply: Sputtering/Hesitation?