Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

bigger cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bigger cams

when putting a bigger cam on with stock 241 heads, do I need to do anything with the heads no matter the size or does it only matter the size of the cam? I would appreciate any feedback.

also, the bar that sits next to the drive shaft and bolts to the rear end, is it needed or is it just there for support of the driveshaft? I think the bushing for it has gone out and just looking at all my options. thanks guys
Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

The valve springs will need changed, measured and shimmed for correct install height. The size of the cam (duration and lift) and whether heads have been milled previously will dictate whether you need to machine pistons for piston to valve clearance.

The bar you describe sounds like the torque arm and it is required. Purchase a new bushing and replace it. It's an easy job but if you aren't quite sure if you are capable then I recommend finding a mechanic who is proficient at f-body repairs and modification.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first question is so loaded I suggest you do a search on the subject.

Second question sounds like your referring to the torque arm. Yes, you need it. Find a bushing for it.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 PM

thanks for the info guys. i know a bit about these cars but not much with suspension and stuff. i think i have a bent rear end :/ might have to get a new one. might just get a new torque arm and bushing if i replace the rear end.

Quick Reply: bigger cams