Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2001 Camaro accident unibody or frame?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Camaro accident unibody or frame?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic but here goes.

Does a 01 Camaro have unibody construction; no frame? The Camaro right side took out a brick mailbox at 35mph. The insurance company USAA wants to total the vehicle since they claim it has unibody construction. Can unibodies be repaired so the vehicle is safe to drive? The passenger air bag deployed. Would like to keep the car.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Unibody. There are subframes, but the overall body shell is of unibody construction. Anything can be fixed if you have enough time and money, the question is (as your insurance company has indicated) does the cost to repair exceed the value of the car. You can typically buy the car back and fix it at your own cost beyond what additional money your insurance company pays out.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a body shop once and they had this car up on a plate form . There chains connected to it a certain location. Also they had light beams set up. This thing would push and jerk the body into locations using the light beams. I don't what my car back after seeing that. There is no way in hell that car will be factory straight even using the light beams as reference points

Quick Reply: 2001 Camaro accident unibody or frame?