Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch/new hydraulics.......bad new slave?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New clutch/new hydraulics.......bad new slave?

So about 2 months ago I installed a brand new Monster Stg II clutch with light weight flywheel in my 2002 Z28. I also installed a tick adjustable MC and new slave, TOB and pilot bearing. This is the third clutch/hydraulic swap I have done on this car and never had a problem. I have done traditional bleeding and the mity vac method in the past and had success with both.

Well not so lucky this go round. I have done every method known and some that possibly have not been discovered yet! And here I am 2 months later with a car that I can't get in any gear. The pedal feels OK but not as firm as I think it should. And with the car started it will not go in gear. I unhooked the line going to the slave and the pedal is hard as a rock, telling me the master is good.

So after all this back and forth I decided to pull the trans once again and start over.

HERE IS WHERE I NEED HELP.
When I put the slave on my workbench next to my old slave to compare the two I noticed something. Both slaves had been bled and had the bleeder closed. When I push down on the old slave it WILL NOT budge until I crack the bleeder and let fluid evacuate. The new slave I can compress very easily with one hand. It doesn't matter if the bleeder is closed or not. Remember both of these were on the car at one time and both were bled. Does this mean I got a faulty brand new save? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I got one that was bad right out of the box. It was leaking slightly from the piston seal. As I drove the pedal would get lower to the floor and the reservoir fluid level would drop, but couldn't see any fluid leaking. I couldn't figure-out what was going on because the leak was so small. I replaced it with a Dorman slave that has a lifetime warranty so I can return it for a new one if it ever has problems in the future. It sucks that you need to remove the transmission again, but some bad slaves do get past the factory's quality control check and sent to retailers.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Put the old slave back in.

Why do you change it so often anyway?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give me a call, if you bought the slave from us it's under warranty. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 06-21-2013, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Put the old slave back in.

Why do you change it so often anyway?
No way i'm going to cheap out and put the old slave back in. I have always replaced the slave when doing a clutch swap. Its just cheap insurance. Of course unless you get unlucky enough to find a bad new one.

And the car has 126,000 miles with frequent track days so 3 clutches in that time isn't too bad.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Give me a call, if you bought the slave from us it's under warranty. Chris, 817-750-2000
Chris,

The clutch package including slave cylinder was bought from Colorado Speed. I will still call if it will help at all. But I would guess Colorado Speed is who I should contact?

Brent
Old 06-28-2013, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Just wanted to give an update.

I bought a new slave cylinder from O'Reillys (same as the stock one) and installed it. Pumped the pedal about 10 times and didn't bleed it once. Got in the car and it slid right into gear no problem. I will bleed it in the next few days to get the pedal a little more firm. But it drove through the gears with no problem.

So either I got air trapped in the first slave somehow and could not get it to bleed out or it was a faulty new slave. Either way I am in business now. Felt good to drive the car again for the first time in 7 months!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
Just wanted to give an update.

I bought a new slave cylinder from O'Reillys (same as the stock one) and installed it. Pumped the pedal about 10 times and didn't bleed it once. Got in the car and it slid right into gear no problem. I will bleed it in the next few days to get the pedal a little more firm. But it drove through the gears with no problem.

So either I got air trapped in the first slave somehow and could not get it to bleed out or it was a faulty new slave. Either way I am in business now. Felt good to drive the car again for the first time in 7 months!
Glad to hear
Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I am having this exact same issue! It has me stumped because no matter how much i bleed it, air bubbles along with fluid come out non stop... Replaced the master and same issue... Really hoping its not the slave as i dont want to pull the trans but im lost.

Thought it might be the tick speed bleeder fitting and replaced that, but with no luck... Endless air comes out when bleeding with the mityvac...
Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Update:

Just pulled the trans at my buddys shop and its confirmed the slave is the culprit. Found brake fluid around the tranny. I will contact Monster on Monday to get a new slave under warranty.

Whats weird is my clutch was installed around the same time as the OP and only has 3k miles on it... Not sure whats up with these slaves
Old 07-05-2013, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Glad you figured it out. I'm sure it's rare but nothing worse than re-installing the trans and crossing your fingers on the slave being good.

Quick Reply: New clutch/new hydraulics.......bad new slave?