LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Panhard bar.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panhard bar.

I took the car to the strip and broke the 10 bolt. i have 4.10s and dropped the clutch at 4500 lol.. im not mad at all i knew i was gonna break it eventually. no biggie..my question is is the panhard bar that runs parallel with the axle suppose to be bent up a little?? or perfectly straight.. also the car has eibach lowering springs. i think i buckled it when i launched it with slicks
Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old stock one was bent a bit like you say before I threw it in the trash heap....but I also have Eibach springs, so who knows if I bent it bottoming out or something; so I'm not much help. I'll have to take a look at the factory one on my Firehawk which is unmolested now that I'm curious... LOL.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with that flimsy factory POS....buy some boxed control arms and adjustable panhard bar (you can center your axle back where it's supposed to, it's no doubt off center since you lowered it). Those 2 rear suspension parts make a world of difference launching and just generally helps put down the HP much better, even in the turns; no axle hop! Those parts don't cost much and are well worth it.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The top phb support on the passenger side is bent slightly DOWN to fit the exhaust over it, nothing should be bent UP. The phb itself is perfectly straight.

Pics!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
The panhard bar itself (uninstalled) is completely straight, it that's what you are asking. One end bolts to the chasis (I think that's the passenger side) and the other end is fastened to the rear axle (drivers side - OR vice versa). When rear end goes up, panhard bar angles down; when rear end squats, panhard bar tucks up with the axle.

The stamped steel bar is quite flimsy. if its bent or looks warped chuck it and buy an adjustable one in case you ever want to run bigger 11" wide rims. You'll need to properly center your rear end.

EDIT: nice work BTW with the rear end carnage. Share some picks!

+1 for the pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panhard bar.