New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking rear main seal? Help a newbie out....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking rear main seal? Help a newbie out....

I am new to working on my own car, so please forgive me if I use incorrect terminology. I have 2 leaks that I want to get fixed.

I believe one is the Pinion Seal, the seal that has to be pressed in on the front of the differential. I understand that is a pretty common problem with 4th gens, but it does leak about drop a week, so it needs to be done. I have heard that this is a fairly advanced project, so I will probably just take it to a shop, unless someone has any advice for a novice in his garage?

The second leak is the one I have a question about. It is right at the front of the transmission, this is the rear main seal correct? Anyone who has replaced this before, an answer would be appreciated as to how difficult this would be for a novice and his moderately skilled friend to do themselves, and what tools/parts are necessary. I have a harbor freight floor jack and jackstands, will this get the car high enough, or should i buy some lift ramps? Really any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks tech.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Last edited by Zark; 06-22-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: photo didn't work
Old 06-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Here's a few pics to show the seal I'm talking about.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get the car high enough to remove the tranny.use a jack with a big plate to R$R the tranny.remove the rear engine plate and R&R a new rear mail seal.you will need a new gasket for the plate .put some grease on the seal .
Old 06-23-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know for a fact its the rear main seal then this ^
If you just know that its leaking at the back of the motor then check your valve covers for leaks and the oil pressure sending unit as well. Both of those can cause leaks down the back of the motor
Old 06-23-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go to all of the trouble of pulling your transmission I'd replace your clutch and slave cylinder, its a lot of work to pull the transmission so I'd get some upgrades done while it's apart.

Quick Reply: Leaking rear main seal? Help a newbie out....