General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c leak.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default a/c leak.

Last Spring I had my a/c system charged by a shop and it worked great. After a few weeks or months I don't remember which b/ c it's not my dd the air was warm again. I will have the system vacumed and a leak test done. Is there a common spot to look for the leak first? I did a search and came up empty . Thank you . Brian.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the high and low service ports where you would connect gauges. the high port is straight up so you could fill it with a few drops of water and see if there are bubbles. the low side which might be on the accumulator i don't remember i think is horizontal so you couldn't check for bubbles, but sometimes if the plastic cap over it seals well then when you undo it you can hear a little hiss. if you hear the hiss then you know it's leaking there, and what sometimes help is if you have the tool to undo those valves is give them a 1/4 turn to remove then re-tighten and they sometimes seal. other than that trace around all the hoses and look for signs of oil seepage at fittings and at the crimps where hard line turns to rubber hose. what a shop can also do is probe with a halogen leak detector to find leaks.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I like the halogen leak detector plan lol. Thank you.

Quick Reply: a/c leak.