Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much oil in intake is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default How much oil in intake is normal?

I just got done pulling my 102 intake from my car (still hot) with the intentions of painting it. When I got it apart I noticed the intake ports were a light brown color (on the heads) and feeling of the inside of the intake it feels pretty slick almost like a very very very light oil film is there. Is that normal? Its not like its all coated in oil it just has a light greasy film. I took degreaser to the inside of the intake but if any oil texture isn't normal I don't want this to happen again. I also have a Norris catch on the car.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I just got done pulling my 102 intake from my car (still hot) with the intentions of painting it. When I got it apart I noticed the intake ports were a light brown color (on the heads) and feeling of the inside of the intake it feels pretty slick almost like a very very very light oil film is there. Is that normal? Its not like its all coated in oil it just has a light greasy film. I took degreaser to the inside of the intake but if any oil texture isn't normal I don't want this to happen again. I also have a Norris catch on the car.
Wow, I just made a similar post and didn't see yours. Yea, my intake was the same way. And, I'm also running a Norris catch can. I think the only way to truly get rid of that oil is to delete the pcv and run breathers, or run a vacuum pump.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I put the ls6 intake on 3 months ago my ls1 intake was filled with oil. I then added a norris catch can myself and hopefully it has cut down a little but like stated above to remove valve would be best bet. Thats the problem with the faulty system these engines have.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try either shielding the CC from the exhaust/engine bay heat, or move it to a cooler location. That will help trap more oil and water in the CC.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Completely normal, even after low mileage.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the idea of moving the catch can to a cooler location,consider insulating it also.

Quick Reply: How much oil in intake is normal?