Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro Yank Shift flare on the 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Pro Yank Shift flare on the 2-3

A buddy and I have been having some problems with his Pro Yank trans. It has about 5000 miles on it and the 3/4 pack fried due to incorrect installation. The frictions and steels were installed in the wrong order. So we replaced them with new Red Eagles and reassembled. It shifts nice and crisp at part throttle. When at WOT, it hits the rev limiter on the 2-3. Its not incorrect shift points. The trans actually releases 2nd gear and pauses before it engages 3rd and the rpm rises. It's had that problem since day one (the Yank trans that is). I've read about others with a flare on the 2-3 with Pro Yanks and wonder if anyone has figured out the cause. Calling Mike is basically useless as you cannot get a hold of him. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Restricted User

What clearance are you running on the 3-4 clutch pack?, What 2-4 apply servo are you using?, Corvette?, Billet?, Do you know what the 3rd gear feed hole is on the seperator plate?, How much band clearance do you have?, Let me know?
Old 05-01-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
What clearance are you running on the 3-4 clutch pack?, What 2-4 apply servo are you using?, Corvette?, Billet?, Do you know what the 3rd gear feed hole is on the seperator plate?, How much band clearance do you have?, Let me know?

Its the stock 2-4 "vette" servo. Unfortunately I never measured the band clearance, but the 3/4 pack is at ~.040" and is the most I could get out of it with the parts we had (all thin steels and thin retaining ring). How do you adjust band clearance anyway without changing the apply pin? I am also not sure of the feed/exhaust sizes as we never had the valvebody off and I didnt drill them out personally. We added 1 qt over full and it fixed the shifting problem. It appears that its a fluid supply problem and seems to be somewhat common on this board on some of these transmissions. Wish I had more info for you...sounds like you'll be a good addition to this section.