Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Where is my paint code on my 2002 Camaro ss?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Where is my paint code on my 2002 Camaro ss?

Hey guys I went to a body shop and thought I knew where my paint code was located at, turns out I didnt.

I couldnt find a damn plaque anywhere. Where is suppose to be located at? Thanks

Ray
Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original paint code is within the VIN of your car.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in your glove box
Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Should be on the door sticker of the driver side door, along with the VIN, all the RPO codes, etc. Labeled BC/CC and the 4 digit code after that.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Should be on the door sticker of the driver side door, along with the VIN, all the RPO codes, etc. Labeled BC/CC and the 4 digit code after that.
This is exactly correct.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Launching!

As noted it's usually listed on the RPO (sticker with a lot of 3 digit codes) at the bottom. GM usually uses a code like this: "BC/CC WA 5538". It may sometimes not say WA, and not the 5538 at all, GM is not consistent always. You can also look for in the RPO codes for a code that ends with L or U but must have the first two digits being numbers. So back to our example you may see:

"BC/CC WA 5538" and in the RPO codes may find something like "33L". The 5538 is more accurate code whereas the "33" is a generic code that will just give you a list of ALL paint codes (could not even be all reds for example) assigned to that code and would have to sort through for your model in the database.

Location will vary on each vehicle. Check areas like the glove box, center console, and drivers door jamb. Other areas like the trunk, and underhood are common on some vehicles.

Also out of curiosity why did YOU have to find the paint code if you brought it to a body shop? That's their job. Also if your sticker for your paint code is missing there are methods the body shop can use to still look up the exact code and your paint variance.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the guy was looking around to find it and I thought it was in the door jam myself. Looked in the glove box, truck, center counsel everywhere. coudlnt find it. So we just took the Vin, reason i helped is because I thought I knew where it was myself. I swore I seen it somewhere but I guess I was wrong. I was just getting my CME painted. Hopefully today ill post some pics if not today Def tomorrow

Thanks for all of your guy's help. ill keep looking for it
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix
Location will vary on each vehicle. Check areas like the glove box, center console, and drivers door jamb. Other areas like the trunk, and underhood are common on some vehicles.
I agree that the location will vary from model to model, but not from specific car to specific car within the same model (at least in the case of a 2002 Camaro). Every single one was originally located on the driver's door jamb. My reason for pointing this out is to save anyone the hassle of searching all over their LS1 4th gen to find the SPID sticker. If it's not on the driver's door jamb, then the sticker has been lost/removed at some point.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is where it is on all 4th gen fbodies. If it isn't, your sticker either was removed, painted over, or something.

I always thought putting important stuff like that on the door was a stupid place. Get in an accident that requires a new door and now you've lost all your stuff since you can't get new stickers. My Trailblazer has the RPO code sticker in the glove box which is a much better location IMO.
Attached Thumbnails Where is my paint code on my 2002 Camaro ss?-doorstickers.jpg   Where is my paint code on my 2002 Camaro ss?-paintcode.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
This is where it is on all 4th gen fbodies. If it isn't, your sticker either was removed, painted over, or something.

I always thought putting important stuff like that on the door was a stupid place. Get in an accident that requires a new door and now you've lost all your stuff since you can't get new stickers. My Trailblazer has the RPO code sticker in the glove box which is a much better location IMO.
Majority are on the door yes, but I wouldn't say all. Over the years I've owned several Firebird and T/A's and a handful were in the glovebox too.

Yeah having it on the door is a silly location as you said. The manufactures should really place it in a more not so easily replaced area (like the cowl/etc.) that if wrecked the car would probably be totaled anyways at that point not a door. There are ways to get a replacement sticker, but it is NOT cheap by any means.

camarodude87, if that is a decent paint shop there are still several other ways to acquire a paint match without the code.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VIN number has the answer.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix
Majority are on the door yes, but I wouldn't say all. Over the years I've owned several Firebird and T/A's and a handful were in the glovebox too.
I have owned several 4th gens, and worked on dozens. I have never seen a single '98+ car with the SPID sticker in the glove box.

Quick Reply: Where is my paint code on my 2002 Camaro ss?