Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

97 Trans Am Slave Cylinder Popped...Having Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Trans Am Slave Cylinder Popped...Having Problems

Hey people. Was driving home last week came to a red light, clutched in and heard a pop and the pedal sunk to the floor. Got out checked the slave and saw fluid dripping out of the housing. Ok no big deal, get car towed to my house and I go to autozone and buy a slave cylinder. The slave I got from autozone is the same exact one that was on the car. I remember the markings "BP" on it and "made in usa". So I put the slave in, bleed it by manually pumping the rod and refilling until it was very hard to push. I get in the car, clutch pedal is rock hard and will not go down. I push down again with alot of force and I hear the same pop and the pedal goes down to the floor.

I get under the car again, and this time I do NOT see any fluid leaking from the slave. I unbolt it, and I don't see nothing wrong with it and its still very firm and hard to push in. So now I'm like wtf is going on. I go buy a clutch master from autozone, put it in, and attempt to bleed the system by pumping the pushrod of the slave and this time I see brake fluid coming out of the new slave. It seems as though the new slave has popped. Does anyone know whats going on here? I just did a clutch, ram powergrip hd and the car has been fine for a whole week until now. Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

could be the slave is jumping out of the indention on the shift fork ,did you leave the little plastic cap on the tip
Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ramair 1
could be the slave is jumping out of the indention on the shift fork ,did you leave the little plastic cap on the tip
What little plastic tip? When I got the slave it had a plastic thing holding the rod compressed I cut that off. Kinda like when u buy a new shock and its compressed with a tie. Is that what you mean? There is a black thing on the end of the rod which is what I guess your talking about, yes I didn't touch that.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

yeah you leave that strap on there and when you press the clutch the first time it breaks the strap and sets the slave rod to the clutch fork leaving the plastic cap in place.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ramair 1
yeah you leave that strap on there and when you press the clutch the first time it breaks the strap and sets the slave rod to the clutch fork leaving the plastic cap in place.
How are you suppose to bleed the slave with that strap on there?
Old 06-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Well i was just installing the new slave and the clutch fork fell out of the car. The clutch fork broke in half. I can't believe my luck. How the hell does a clutch fork just snap in half? The metal is thick as hell. Un real. I hope nothing else got messed up. This just turned into a massive cluster ****.

Quick Reply: 97 Trans Am Slave Cylinder Popped...Having Problems